DSE

New Century Optics .5

judging from the part number, that's probably right. Mine came with no documentation as it's a pre-release unit.
The number on it is C158662.
I was told they'd be shipping as of last week, so they're apparently in-stock or soon to be.
If you'd like to check it out, I've got it at Elsinore. You're welcome to it for a day or two. I won't be putting a camera back on for a couple weeks at best.

Hey,
My name is Will. I haven't really posted on here but figured this would be a good place to start. I got this lens back in the beginning of July. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/577500-REG/Century_Precision_Optics_0HD_05WA_43_0HD_05WA_43_0_5x_Wide_Angle.html
Correct me if I’m wrong but I am pretty sure this is the same lens.
I have put about 50 jumps on it so far with my cx100 and I love it. I had the .55 but sold it and bought this one, mostly because it fit my helmet better but that’s a different story. It definitely seems wider, but I don’t have any video side by side to compare it to. I added a couple pictures from some jumps today and one from a four way in sebastian back in August. The shots before exit I am standing on the wheel of a 182 so that should give you an idea of how wide it is.
Hope this helps,
Will

Yours is likely the first release. They've since coated the lens, but it's the same housing, same optics. They did something similar with the baby death.

You'll note it's slightly wider than your .55, and better overall resolution. It's also got a smoother edge due to the coating, and flares later.

Notice the images are also less distorted than the .55. Wish I had my .55 with me to post comparisons.

Hey Doug......looks like another nice lens.....great review and little vid....

One quick question...is it a zoom thru lens

and is the link that is provided above by ( wwelbon )from b&h the correct lens ( the same one as your review )

thanks

Mike
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

it's not a full zoom through, no. You can zoom through about 1/3 the image is all.
Yes, that is the correct link to BH for this lens. Very cool to know it's out there, the product manager for this lens had told me it wouldn't be shipping (new version) until Oct 1, which had me believing it wasn't yet available.
Just ordered my own (I have to send this one back to Century).

Is anybody jumping this lens yet? Just wondering how wide it is - i know the specs say 0.5 but these numbers seem to be incresingly meaningless!
I want something slightly wider than a raynox 3032 HD (which seems very narrow to me for a 0.3)- and i have a friend in NY next week who can pick me one up!
I use a HC-5, CX105

Thanks for any comments!

gary
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

It's twice the width of whatever your camera's widest point is.
It's plenty wide for most uses. Michal, Chris, and (I forget who) borrowed this lens from me during the wingsuit event, maybe they can post some video. I did some jumps with it yesterday, shooting a multiple wingsuit rodeo. Haven't jumped a tandem with it yet, but it will likely become my default.

I jumped with it yesterday. It's pretty wide - definitely wider than the Raynox fifty fifty I had on my HC1, seems like a little wider than the Raynox 3030 I had on the CX100 previously. I had to get a little closer.

Very nice lens BTW. Lighter than the 3030 and no perceptible chromatic aberrations on the edges.

It's twice the width of whatever your camera's widest point is.

I understand this is what it should mean - just looking for real world examples!
My experience is that my 3 different 0.3's (raynox, royal and opteka) all have quite different fields of view - which is why i find the numbers not very useful.

Thanks again Bill
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

>My impression is different, it seems narrower to me that my old
>raynox 3032. Unless I'm missing something between 3030 and 3032.

I think they are one in the same.

I should be able to run a test tonight with both lenses indoors to see what their comparative angles are.

DSE,

Would you be able to post some comparison shots sometime in the future? I am sure there are more out there than just me who would like to see this, it would be appreciated.

I'd also like to see real life comparison of viewing angles for different lenses.Century an raynox will be enough for me but if you have others on hand I'm sure noone will mind if you add more :)
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

As mentioned a while back, Century has a new HD lens.
Depending on the camera, it resolves 900 lines. For what it is, very impressive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emstAdOwAMg

Video isn't so great, shot with no lights and a CX100. Apologies, but thought y'all might like to see it.

Thanks for the great reveiw Spot!!

I just ordered one of these to go on my new (to me) cx100.

I also ordered a 30mm - 43mm step up ring ($5 on ebay) to keep from having to stack two rings. **Hint** Search for 30-43 not 43-30, I wasted some time searching the wrong way :$

I hope it will be close to my previous PC101/Kenko .43 fisheye set-up that I use for tandems.

Thanks again and Blue Skies,
Jason

I have been using the Century .5 with a 30-43 ring on a cx110 for a little while now, and must say I love it! Its actually wider than my Kenko .42. When paired with my xti and Sigma 15mm it matches up very well.

Nothing but great things to say about the lens.

I do however recommend getting a 67mm UV filter just to protect the lens surface.

I can post 4-way videos if you like