FreeflyChile

Windows 7

So I figure this may be the appropriate forum for this question:

I hate, despise, and absolutely loathe Windows Vista - i bought a computer that *should have been* extremely beefy last year and Vista just sucks the life out of it...

So has anyone here had a chance to play with Windows 7 with video editing programs or graphic-intensive programs (like games) and seen any difference between this and Vista?

I want to upgrade to Windows 7 ASAP to finally be able to get the performance out of my machine I should have had all along, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any actual evidence/experience as to any noticable differences running resource-intensive software.

Windows 7 has been released for a while to manufactors and those people who have Technet subscriptions. I'm currently running Windows 7 on a slightly older Dell D630 laptop and Premeie CS4 runs great on it. In fact I currently have CS4, IE 8 and After Effects CS4 open on it and I only have 2 gigs of Ram in this system and only notice a delay on the AE rendering.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

That's very encouraging to hear.

Another quick question (which, as DSE suggests, may be best saved for another week or so) -

My understanding is one of the nice things about Windows 7 is they are removing all the crap software that usually comes installed with a PC - so you can pick and choose what you want with it.

I understand that XP users have to back up their drives because the installation of 7 completely formats the hard drive. Vista users, on the other hand, can just install the upgrade. Will the upgrade from Vista to 7 remove all the junk, or will I have to do it manually after-the-fact?

I just got an email yesterday that my pre-ordered copy of Windows 7 was charged to my account and shipped. Should get it any day now.

I have had no complaints about Vista. I got a new computer in July with it, and the old one has XP on it. I guess they worked out most of the bugs on Vista the past 2 years. Of course, the new computer is powerful and superfast, so no problems.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I woulod personally do a clean install of an OS rather then an upgrade. I've done upgrades all the way back to Windows 3.11 for Workgroups (i am ashamed to admit I've been in computers that long) and I've always have better success on clean installs then on upgrades.

Windows 7 has multiple flavors - the more you spend might or might not give you more features that you need or don't need. You need to research to see if you need basic, Ultimate, Media center edition or the fourth flavor that I am not recalling right now. Each one has a different subset of features put into it. You might not want some of the features like the ability to transform your PC into a hub that connects to the TV and entertainment so buying the right edition is going to be really important to avoid overpaying for features you don't need.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I am one of the apparent few who never had an issue with Vista. Of course, I didn't start using it until SP1 was out, mainly because of all the bitching I heard at release.

I've been using Win7 for months, from the Beta through the RC, and now the final version which I got for free a few weeks ago from Houseparty.com. B| I have used multiple versions of Vegas, Photoshop, and InDesign (to design my book :$) and they all work great... but they also worked great for me in Vista. I'm also a gamer and have run a lot of Source engine FPS games on both Vista and Win7 fine. I have a very few minor complaints about 7, but none are related to application or hardware compatibility. There really aren't any major improvements over Vista either as far as I'm concerned. It's a bit more visually pleasing, and some of the aero snap stuff is cool. I don't like the new taskbar and the lack of quicklaunch, but there is a way to get it back.

Even on my less powerful laptop I haven't really noticed a difference between Vista and 7 in terms of resource or power consumption. But supposedly 7 works better on low end machines.

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

My understanding is one of the nice things about Windows 7 is they are removing all the crap software that usually comes installed with a PC - so you can pick and choose what you want with it.

Most of the "junk" that comes installed on a computer is not from MS or part of Windows. It's usually from the PC builder. You can't blame Vista for that. Laptops are the worst. I just got my first laptop and the first thing I did was format it completely to get rid of all the bloatware and then installed the OS myself.

Phree is right, you want to do a clean install, no matter what OS you are coming from. You can backup your data ahead of time, in a number of ways.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

You guys always talk Chinese on here... At least to me its that way;) I bought a laptop last winter. Its a Dell studio XPS 1640 [email protected] with 8 GB 64 bit os windows vista ultimate.

I have look at the reveiws of the windows 7 and im not sure if it offers me anything new.

Im retarded when it comes to terms and what you guys are really talking about. I think im going to wait and see.

Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Im retarded when it comes to terms and what you guys are really talking about. I think im going to wait and see.

Here's the thing....if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Vista is just *fine* for most users. Just like XP is, and Win2K was. In fact, I'm still running two old Win2K servers and love their rocket-fast performance.
Just cuz it's new don't mean you need it.

Just cuz it's new don't mean you need it

True, but it (in most cases) mean that we want it ;)
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

That's why expensive toys are the cheaper choice in the long run B|
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

+1 for clean install.
My final version windows 7 arrived yesterday, but haven't had it installed just yet.

Only Microsoft could ship me the one version of Windows 7, that can't be used to upgrade my version of Vista.... :S

Ah well, backed up my personal files, but will have to reload my programs after the clean install. Sucks cause I had plenty of pre-installed software on the computer that are now gone. The good thing is I've only had this computer for 3 months so have not had time to accumulate a lot of stuff on it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

One thing to keep in mind guys,

You have to use the Microsoft "WET" transfer tool to move your settings from XP to 7.
The "easy transfer wizard" that comes with 7 does not recognize your "files and settings transfer wizard" that comes with XP.

Ask me how I know that and I'll tell you a tale of woe when I transferred all of my XP data to a hard drive, only to find out that 7 couldn't see it.

So off to Microsoft tech help and the "WET" solution. Worked like a charm.

I'm using Power Director 8 on my machine, and it flies along in Windows 7. Couldn't compare to Vista, as I didn't own it, but it is a huge improvement over what I saw on XP.

Here's the thing....if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Vista is just *fine* for most users.

HUSH YO MOUF!

VISTA made me an APPLE user.
I can no tstand the crap the Vista pulled.
Maybe its the toshiba machine that I bought but I blame it all on vista. Man, were they propethic.
Asta la vista , as the full name is titled, defintely made me say that to microsoft.

(unfortunately, I am still limping along with this POS until I have the money to buy an Macbook.)
My photos

My Videos