lilchief

Not for skydiving, but still pretty cool =)

Canon released the 1D Mark IV today. lot's of nice features.

http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS-1D_Mark_IV/index.asp

The 7D is also pretty nice and could be used if you're used to used bodies like 30D/40D/50D since it has better image quality at higher ISO.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

The 1Ds are heavy as fuck! i have two and you definetily feel it when you've lugged them around for a day!

But i've seen 1Ds on camera helmets on a couple of occasions..

Alltough i would prefer Full Frame if i bought a body for skydiving. Im getting the 5DMarkII for work and i think it might be pretty good for skydiving, paired with a 15mm for example!

the 1D weights 1,14kg just for the body + 0.4kg for the lens and it's a hassle to mount something that big on your head.

5D is IMO the only option if you want a canon full frame on your head. XXXD/Rebel series, XXD series and now the 7D is using a x1.6 crop format sensor which is usable with all lenses from Canon. But the 7D offers the best picture quality. plus the wheight isn't all that bad if your neck is healthy.

=)
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

But then again i know cameraflyers with setups weighing in at a staggering 15-20 lbs! so i guess if you have the physics for it a 1D probably wouldnt be that bad.. Ofcourse you loose the FF sensor but you can do 10 frames a second! and that is a good thing to have in a sport like this!

1Dm4 : 1180g

5Dm2: 810g

7D : 820g

So the 1dm4 is less than 360 grams heavier. Not really an issue at all.

At the moment I have no issues with weight when I have 400D + 10-22 + 430EX + Sony PC120 + bonehead optik.

If I would replace the 400D -> 1Dm4 Im certain I would have no problems. Furthermore If I also changed that heavy PC120 to a cx100 I would actually reduce the total weight of my helmet with about 250 grams. So I could actually have two CX100´s and a 1Dm4 and it would weigh the same that my set up does now...

If I had an FTP or similar I could easilly mount two 1D bodies. (only if I had the money) :P Ofcourse your canopy choice is very important in this discussion also. (I fly an XF2)

For freefall I would prefer a FF sensor. 2nd coice would be the APS-C. APS-H is very limited with wide angle optics. It is designed for longer focal lengths. The only thing on APS-C over FF is the 8mm fisheye focal length on APS-C. Im not sure if there is as wide selection of lenses on the comparable focal length on the FF selection of lenses..

Never say never, I've seen a guy jump with an IMAX camera strapped to him, definitely not an every day jump camera.

The 1D is big, and I know one well known photographer who has jumped with 2 of them at once on occasion. For something bigger than the 1D check out the pictures of this Hasselblad H3D II-39 that he is now jumping. With 39megapixels, the photos are unbelievably detailed. I was surprised that it actually felt well balanced and did not feel heavy even with the 35mm lens and flash pictured. It's one bad ass setup.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You only get one frame every two seconds from it though! nothing 30mp can do if you're not in frame :P

But im sure he is an excellent camera flyer if he sports a $20k camera!

It's safe to say he is not a spray and pray photographer. I highly doubt you'd catch him using this setup for your run of the mill jumps, it definitely has it's specific applications.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You only get one frame every two seconds from it though! nothing 30mp can do if you're not in frame :P
!

There isn't anything 30mp can do if you don't have great glass on the front, either. And in some cases, 30mp won't matter with even great glass on the front.