Cookie

New CX100 Roll Cage

Nice cage.

Can you give the dimensions on that side plate so that it's possible to see how it would fit on a side mount?

Height, width, and how far the hypeye D connector is from the back, front, top and bottom.. Thanks in advance. (:

Eloy hey, half your luck.

The Cages are available now, I know Chuting Star Star has order stock.

On the Atomic, the design of the helmet sizes is locked down and on to production for tooling development. I keep saying not long now however we are definetly a step closer. I will not talk of release dates as I always get them wrong.

Cookie

Great looking product, as always.

Does it really cost that much to make these bad boys? I mean the cage is nearly half the price of the camcorder, you can get a CX100 for $388 shipped these days.

Manufacturing is the cheapest part of the process. The expensive part is design, engineering, prototyping, reworking, etc. I imagine they have countless hours of designing, reworking, modelling, prototyping, reworking, prototyping, etc, I think you see a trend here. ;)

It's not always as easy as "just protect the camera". When you're doing a project like this you'll find that you take two steps forward, and three backwards. Everything has to be just right, slots cut in the right places, tapped holes for quick release, port for D-plug, thick enough material, not too heavy...as you can imagine it can be quite the headache, although after it's all said and done you get one nice finished product!

Blink

Manufacturing is the cheapest part of the process. The expensive part is design, engineering, prototyping, reworking, etc. I imagine they have countless hours of designing, reworking, modelling, prototyping, reworking, prototyping, etc

I know what's involved in designing and releasing a product. I also know that it costs pennies once the product is put on the mass production line.

When the cameras were nearly $1000 dollars (as in PC1000, or HD HC-series), paying $200 for a box was almost OK. But now, when you can get a replacement for less than 400... i for one am not going to pay half the price of the camera for a protective box/cage, no matter how nice it is and in the event that i bump my camera to the point of breaking it, i'll just buy a new one. I am wondering, why invest so much if a considerable number of people are not going to pay the asking price and potential sales are not going to cover the initial investment? Of course there are others who will purchase the pretty new box, those who take good looks over simplicity and cost effectiveness of, say, a home made bracket.

But I do love Cookie stuff, it always has superb quality and excellent design. I've owned your HC3, HC5, CX7 boxes, have three liquid flatlocks... Kudos for being on the cutting edge offering great products.

Where????? give me the heads up on that please.

Google sony cx100. Here is one of the vendors that has reputable feedback: http://www.dbuys.com/product/?54712&camp_id=265

Hey Frost and Blink,

Frost you are correct in your comments, I had the same discussion today, about camera that cost $1000 and accessories as such. Blnk is correct regarding the process. You have built a nice cage also an we can appreciate your efforts getting to this point.

You also can not forget the relative cost relationships between Hypeye's, lenses,mounts and then helmets verses camera costs

If we could guarantee sales of 10000 units the end price would certainly be different and we would have a robot feeding big chunks of alloy into our expensive machine and I would not be reading these forums enjoying the banter, but kicking back with a mixer on my yatch.

We are coming to the end of the CX100 life span. I hope that Sony will release a great skydiver friendly camera at the next CES. Or the Go Pro camera is so kick ass that we may see the death of the traditional sony camera's for skydivers.

Either way I truly enjoy the challenges ahead and appreciate your coments,assitance and feedback.

Cooke