br0k3n

working with AVCHD

Hi All.

So I've recently made the migration from DV to AVCHD and was wondering what other people who are editing this format are doing.

I have noticed that working with native AVCHD is painful, in that it is very CPU intensive and that whilst running a dual core 2.9Ghz chip it runs 100%. So scrolling through clips is jerky and slow, and preview play back is the same.

I have done a bit of research and this seems to be the general consensus that working with native AVCHD is not the way to go.

I came across a package called Cineform Neoscene Link which converts AVCHD to .avi whilst retaining most of the quality. The .avi is then a lot easier to work with in most Editing packages, and seems to solve the problem.

Anyway I was wondering what other peoples experience or advice would be?

Thanks

Oli
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

the app you use, combined with hardware factors, determines how you'll work with AVCHD.

Using a DI like Neo, Upshift, Revolver, etc are all potential candidates for working with AVCHD if you've got a slower/older machine.

Some folks will edit straight off the card for shortform (I regularly do) and others will Xfer media to an HDD to edit natively (Premeire, Vegas, Edius). A DI has some benefits if you're going to push color, key, etc. and converting from interframe to intraframe compression carries some benefits. Size grows exponentially when using a DI, depending on the DI.

FWIW, AVCHD workflows

Im running a fairy new machine dual core 2.9ghz, with 4GB RAM (I wouldn’t have considered this slow) and Vegas Platinum Pro. Working with any other format is great, easy super smooth no problems. As soon as I try to work with native AVCHD whether straight of the card or from HDD (15K SATA) Vegas becomes (to me) un-usable.

My CPU is maxed, memory is not problem, now this might be a issue with Vegas I don’t know, I haven’t tried any other software yet.

So what spec setup do you consider is required for native editing ?

Thx
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Yes, however I have shut down all services non essential prior to running vegas.

I'd suggest there is something still occupying the CPU cycles. I'm using a very old MacBook Pro 2GHz with Bootcamp/XPPro, a Dell 6400 with Vista 32, a Dell 6300 with XPPro, a very old dual 1.66GHz, and even a single dual core 1.77; all running AVCHD at full frame rates even off of MSPD's.
What do you have preview set to? That may be part of the problem. What is your Dynamic RAM setting?