BartRN

My new CCM finally done... miss you Wes

I truly wish I had been able to complete this project before Wes left us. The last time I talked to him and showed him pictures he was excited to see his design taken this direction.

My inspiration intially came from Matt Hoover and Brett Thomas, both of whom have made their own CCM. The idea for my CCM was from Wes' helmet shown on his webpage (rimworldvideo.com) but taken to the next level.

I started making my CCM in November of '08. There were weeks that I would not touch it and numerous times I had to 'erase' steps and redo them. I had never worked with materials like this before and the detail my helmet required forced me to become very proficient at working with fiberglass and carbon fiber. My total cost and time invested??.... who knows or cares to be honest. The experience of making a CCM was worth every second

I am way too lazy to shrink multiple photos down to the DZ.com size limits but several photos are attached. You can see more pictures of my helmet at ....

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/album.php?aid=33477&id=1527095635

I welcome feedback and look forward to your comments.

Bart
Some canopies can be fun to fly, but treat you like their bitch on opening. -- Jarno

If nothing else can be said about it, it's definitely artistic and creative!

It appears your googles are part of the helmet? Or is that just an illusion? Is the front actually molded, or is the paint job giving the illusion of depth?

Googles are lightly tacked in so that they can be replaced as they wear out, other than the stitched rim non of the googles are covered by the helmet.

The face is indeed molded/sculpted.
Some canopies can be fun to fly, but treat you like their bitch on opening. -- Jarno

Clicky for the Facebook photos from the OP:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/album.php?aid=33477&id=1527095635

It took you less than a year... you beat me. ;) I've probably had half a dozen people in the past 2 years tell me they were starting a CCM. You are the first one who has actually finished. Congrats!

You definitely look like a monster flying through the air. Scary. No ringsight? How does if fit/feel/fly? What still camera do you have on there? I just got a CX100 like you have, but haven't mounted/flown it yet.

Cya soon Bart.

I am contemplating starting my next one soon. B|

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I'd love to see the face on the tandemstudens you're filming in freefall :ph34r:

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Congratulations, that is a very, very cool camera helmet. How is the peripheral out of it?

Making sure I lost ZERO peripheral was a huge concern, with the way I designed the mask there is no loss of vision at all. I see as good out of this as I do out of my Optic.... amazingly enough it is also lighter than my Optic by a half pound

No ringsight? How does if fit/feel/fly? What still camera do you have on there? I just got a CX100 like you have, but haven't mounted/flown it yet.

I ended up going with a paper asshole on the inside of the goggles instead of a ringsite, since the googles are fixed this works out well.

I have a Canon xTi with a crappy 18-55 lens (new lens on my wish list with Santa hehe)

The helmet fits amazingly well.. much more quiet in freefall than I expected. I need to adjust the padding in a place or two, it did swell a bit more than expected in a place or two.

I am going to completely redo the top plate to be more flexible and interchangable but I threw that plate together to get it in the air.

Bart

The helmet turned out great Bart. It was cool to see it this weekend.
My favorite part is the third object mounted on top. You should post a shot of that.

LOL, you can say it... I wasn't trying to hide it, just not done with the plate. I assume you refer to my integrated entertainment system, ie Ipod and surround sound system hehe

Congratulations, that is a very, very cool camera helmet. How is the peripheral out of it?

Making sure I lost ZERO peripheral was a huge concern, with the way I designed the mask there is no loss of vision at all. I see as good out of this as I do out of my Optic.... amazingly enough it is also lighter than my Optic by a half pound

Awesome! understand i wasn't implying anything, i was truly curious and it sounds like you had the same thoughts when designing it. Absolutely bad ass and i hope to see it in person some day. I have seen a few ccm's up close and every one is a work of art. Yours takes it to a whole new levelB|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

The helmet turned out great Bart. It was cool to see it this weekend.
My favorite part is the third object mounted on top. You should post a shot of that.

LOL, you can say it... I wasn't trying to hide it, just not done with the plate. I assume you refer to my integrated entertainment system, ie Ipod and surround sound system hehe

Can you elaborate on this? Do you have speakers inside the helmet?

Again, Congrats on a job well done!

Blue Skies,
Jason

It kind of reminds me of a kabuki mask. Did you model it after one? I take it your bite switch is run inside of the mask?

It is actually modeled after the Immortals from the movie 300. http://civilizer.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/300-persian.jpg

What is the design of the "teeth" supposed to be?

How much of the construction is carbon fiber? How much is fiberglass?

The teeth are just random cuts, nothing implied but it is a common question. I would say it is 25% carbon fiber and 75% fiberglass, plate excluded.

Can you elaborate on this? Do you have speakers inside the helmet?

I do, when building the helmet I added extra room around the ears for ditter/speakers. If you strip down a set of headphones the actual speaker is roughly the size of 3 quarters stacked up. I have a 1 gig I-pod shuffle mounted on the top plate so that I can easily control it in the plane, freefall, or under canopy. The quality and volume easily overcomes freefall noise. Under canopy I usually turn off or way down the music but when shooting 4way it tends to become boring hehe. My 4way team occassionally has caught me bouncing my head to music during training jumps :)

Additionally I also have a piezo speaker that is 0.6mm thick wired into the padding that runs up to my audible (also mounted to the top plate) and decible output of the piezo is easily heard over the music

I have seen this helmet and this forum does not do it justice. It is nothing short of incredible. The integrated sound system is just way too cool! The first time he wore it, everyone screamed when he turned around and looked back. It was shocking. If the students aren't scared enuff, they will be when they look back and see him outside the plane. Genius!

Your helmet is beautiful. It is a work of fiberglass art and a primo helmet for a Halloween boogie. I have a few questions about the helmet. First, I was wondering if you are concerned with eliminating facial communication with your subject (TI, AFFI, students) in times when problems may exist (with others or problems with vidiots own gear) and feedback is helpful? Also, do you think the helmet might distract subjects (AFF students and tandem students)? With some subjects (perhaps the elderly), do you think the helmet might scare and/or take the fun and beauty out of a jump? Does the extra material add unnecessary weight to helmet, which in the long run may ruin your neck? Does the helmet limit your range of vision or induce unnecessary fogging?
Thanks for your feedback and congratulations on your creation!

Your helmet is beautiful. It is a work of fiberglass art and a primo helmet for a Halloween boogie. I have a few questions about the helmet. First, I was wondering if you are concerned with eliminating facial communication with your subject (TI, AFFI, students) in times when problems may exist (with others or problems with vidiots own gear) and feedback is helpful? Also, do you think the helmet might distract subjects (AFF students and tandem students)? With some subjects (perhaps the elderly), do you think the helmet might scare and/or take the fun and beauty out of a jump? Does the extra material add unnecessary weight to helmet, which in the long run may ruin your neck? Does the helmet limit your range of vision or induce unnecessary fogging?
Thanks for your feedback and congratulations on your creation!

Bart does not jump with students, he shoots rw video, so I am pretty sure he is not to much of a distraction (although his team does like to end on their backs on exits :) )

As far as communicating I had no problems hearing him in the plane with his helmet on.

(edited to add everything, posted the quote without my response)

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com