geofsmth

HC5?

I need to replace my PC120 camera. Do you think the HC5 is the best tape driven SD/HD camera? I will be using for tandems and freeflying, which is why I don't really want to go solid state until they get the shake issues figured out. I also don't have the $$ to spend on the new computer to edit.

Advice??

I have both the HC5 and the CX100 and have been using my HC5 for the last couple of years, I love it. But I just bought the CX100 and really love the size and weight of it compared to the HC5.

My recommendation is to buy a CX100 and video in SD that way you won't have to buy a new computer right away. You still have the option of HD and a very light and small camera. Also you have the added benefit of fast transfer of video to a computer via file transfer instead of video capture from firewire.

Oh yeah, you won't have to buy any more tapes!!!

i have the HC 3,, ( 3 years old) and the HC5, new this july...

very nice cameras both...
My 3 is having repair work done to the tape carriage....hope to have it back, soon...

They are medium sized camcorders but a bit tooo large to use as a side mount..
you could however side mount the CX 100..
it is really small.....

the HC series still has lanc and firewire ports, as well as hdmi output, and composite output etc.
...if that's important...

Is the pc 120 still working?? can you use it as an editing deck?
by firewiring between it??? and the HC 5 ?
not sure , but i don't think the CX model can feed footage to another camcorder, in the way we have shared video from one cameraperson to another, in the past...

technology marches on.....
good luck

jmy

the HC series still has lanc and firewire ports, as well as hdmi output, and composite output etc.

Don't forget it also has a remote, if you need it for linear editing or debriefing on a tv. If you edit and debrief on a laptop/pc this makes no difference but if you're stuck to using a tv the hc5 is a much better camera.

Also it's low-light capabilities are much better than the cx100, if that's important (sunset loads, BASE, nightjumps, inside party videoing etc).

ciel bleu,
Saskia