sky490

Fire wire

Firewire on cameras is going to be dead. The issue is you are dealing with two different protocols and there is no similarity in between them. USB requires a host controller and Firewire does not. You are looking at trying to mix water and oil with those two items.

Firewire itself is still going to be around as Firewire 800, it offers twice the transfer speeds of current firewire. Its perfect for external hard drives and other high speed applications.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Firewire itself is still going to be around as Firewire 800, it offers twice the transfer speeds of current firewire. Its perfect for external hard drives and other high speed applications.

Really? I was under the impression both were on the way out. There is a cable or converters to connect 400 and 800. Its good to know the cable won't be obsolete so soon.

Apple is still trying to promote the Firewire 800 spec for some of their platforms but in the PC world its dead. USB3 was just finalized so expect to see bleeding edge devices for it in the near future.

USB has a far larger market share then Firewire ever did so its going to be around longer but even it will be dead at some point. When was the last time you saw a Firewire printer or mouse?
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

USB has a far larger market share then Firewire ever did so its going to be around longer but even it will be dead at some point. When was the last time you saw a Firewire printer or mouse?

That's an understatement if I've ever heard one:D
Apple screwed Firewire (better than USB in that it owned its own bus) by keeping it proprietary and costly for too long.

Its better to make a statement that few people can disagree with on here then one that is likely to start an arguement. ;)

The thing to keep your eyes on moving forward is USB3 or SuperSpeed USB. 4 gig per second is the speeds its targeting. Entire memory cards would be dumped in 2-3 seconds, entire hard drives in 30-60 seconds. Cable lengths are at about 3 meters for that speed too so plenty of room to work with. First devices and chipsets should be dropping late this year or early next from the trade rags I've read. External drives are one of the first items to see this but look for it to make it to everything else shortly after it.

Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

4G/S will dump a 4G card in about 12-15 seconds (counting protoocol overhead.) However, things change fast; I have a few 64G memory sticks I use for media storage. 64G CF cards and 32G SD cards aren't unusual now.

All of which means it's a good thing USB is getting constantly faster. It won't be long until all our video is on solid state media and we'll be transferring back and forth constantly.

4G/S will dump a 4G card in about 12-15 seconds (counting protoocol overhead.)

This is entirely system dependent. USB bus is controlled by the CPU rather than having an independent bus. If the CPU is taxed, it'll slow down significantly. This was the sole argument in favor of 1394.
We can make USB incredibly fast, but if there is an independent governor on it that prevents max speed, it's almost pointless.
That being said, tape is dead. It's time folks realize that. Hard-store media is the present and future. Other than skydiving, our facility has been entirely tapeless for 7 years now, recording to HDD, BDPD, SXS, or CF. And for the past two years, MSPD for skydiving.
I wish that there were a means on any computer, to insert a USB card that would provide an independent bus without addressing the CPU. It would make life a lot faster.

For those reading this topic, one lesson to walk away with is ARCHIVE.
Don't go buy the cheapest HDD you can and use it for storage. Get an enterprise-grade external and keep it spun up.

Don't go buy the cheapest HDD you can and use it for storage. Get an enterprise-grade external and keep it spun up.

What do you recommend? I'm currently looking for an eSATA enclosure and plan to put a 1tb or larger drive(s) into it. What kind of a setup do you recommend. Do you put all your raw video directly onto it and then render to another drive?

For those reading this topic, one lesson to walk away with is ARCHIVE.

Please excuse my ignorance, could you explain what you mean by "keep it spun up"?

Thanks and Blue Skies,
Jason