DSE

Blue Skies, Wes Rich

Wes Rich passed away today, from a heart attack.
He single-handedly changed skydiving photography with his talents. As a craftsman, no one built a better helmet. He was a good guy.
He'll be tremendously missed.
I appreciate your willingness to teach, share, and help answer so many questions for me, Wes. Thanks for the time we spent together, albeit rare and brief.

WTF?!! That is so very sad. I never met Wes in person but we shared numerous very long winded emails about various camera helmet topics. Sounds like he was always striving for perfection and his camera helmets show it. We lost an innovator today and I'm extremely sorry to hear about his passing.
HYPOXIC

Oh No....

This breaks my heart!

I was fortunate enough to travel to Deland in April and have Wes mold my head for one of his amazing helmets. I just received the completed helmet a few weeks ago. It is truly a masterpiece. If you didn't know Wes, you'd never guess from seeing him just how talented an artisan he was. He had a gift. No one in the world made helmets like Wes... And no one ever will... Wow. I don't think he'd jumped in a while, but he loved to tell old skydiving stories. In my brief meeting with him and a plethora of emails, I learned a lot from Wes. He will truly be missed.

This helmet already meant a lot too me. Now, I will cherish it that much more...

Thank you for everything Wes... Blue Skies...

Karen Lewis
http://www.exitshot.com

aw man.

total bummer. that guy was the best.
i visied his shop in deland a few times and was just blown away at the volumes of information he held in his head, the ancient amazing pictures on the walls, and the absolute perfection, and clean lines in his work.

so long, legend.
-b

it's entirely likely you have the last completed helmet Wes did.[:/]
Like all his helmets, it's beautiful.

...(sigh).... Yes, it is beautiful. I feel so lucky I got one, and just devastated to think he won't be around to share this gift with other cameraflyers anymore...
http://www.exitshot.com

I would like to thank you and all the others here who have said such wonderful things about Wes. These posts and comments have giving me new insights into his life that I didn't have before. I will always be proud to call him DAD. For any one interested there is a memorial being planned at Skydive Deland on Halloween for Wes. I will be glad to give additional information on the memorial as it becomes available.