Namowal

Skydive Radio Podcast- Should beginers be tuning in?

I noticed there's a podcast out there aimed at skydivers.
I figure it's aimed at experienced skydivers as opposed to students.
As a noob (just passed AFF 4 a few days ago), would I gain anything by tuning in? Or should I stay away until I master the basics?

p.s. As a student, I do what my instructors tell me, so I won't be trying out any maneuvers or techniques mentioned in the podcast. :$
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

I've been listening to it since I (and it) started.

Loved it then, love it now.

Definitely something for everyone!
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Definately tune in - it's for all and the presenters are usually quite careful not to start giving advice which ought to come from your instructor.

They also have regular safety segments from big names in the sport such as Brian Germain (regular safety first slot each episode as ref above) as well as feature interviews with all sorts of people, sometimes competitors, sometimes old timers, often manufacturers or riggers etc who also give great safety advice as well as others who come on to talk about current issues or safety points.

They also like to hear from people, esp if you're a new jumper. Go ahead and listen to some recent episodes, then e-mail them or drop them a voice mail (they have a system which will call you back for free) and tell them about your AFF progression. You never know, you may end up on air.

Once you've got some recent stuff under your belt, go back and check out some of their old shows - a fav is often the interview with Bill Booth (who had a hand in inventing a lot of the gear you use), talking about some of the scare stories behind their creation and his jumping onto the North Pole. There's some great stuff in their catalogue.

I'm new too and got the chance to drive for 10 hrs last week (and listened to about 8-9 hrs of skydive radio).

I'd say its 70% useful in the sense its informative and you feel more part of the skydiving community.

30% makes you go "what the hell are they talking about?" It took me some time before understanding what CReW was.

Definitely listen with the one with Bill Booth. Loved it. And it re-assures me about the safety with skydiving (taught me a lot about skyhook, tandems, etc...)

It can be sometimes boring though, but I still love it. Its great when you're craving for something skydiving related.

Hope it helps.
Cheers!

Another newb here,

Although I've only listened to the first 50 or so episodes so far, I feel that SDR has been very beneficial. There have been some great safety-related discussions, and a few fantastic episodes concerning the physics of canopy control.

It's also entertaining to hear about the history of skydiving, as well as Dave & Stump's antics.

Tune in!

Also, to the OP, I am loving your learning-to-skydive blog. Send the SDR people a link, see if you can get them to mention it on air :)

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I'd say its 70% useful in the sense its informative and you feel more part of the skydiving community.

30% makes you go "what the hell are they talking about?"

I've been listening in since my original post, and I have to agree with you. Useful and interesting stuff , but boy, I have a lot to learn.:$

Also, to the OP, I am loving your learning-to-skydive blog.

Thanks! I'll be posting what happened for AFF seven later today. Keep an eye out for it.

It has made me ask more questions and learned from others mistakes.

My work just blocked it so i am going to have to mass download and bring them in now... Mad

Your work blocked it? Bastards![:/]

You should definitely listen to Skydive Radio. There's a lot of great info. I learned a few things from the show which helped me on my first cutaway today, on jump 10! Check out my story here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4233547;#4233547.

Wow, that's some first solo! B| Between what you've learned from instructors and what you picked up from Skydive Radio, it sounds like you were super prepared. Nice work!

ABSOLUTELY! While you might not fully understand some of the topics or discussions it does a great job of at least exposing you to the vast disciplines and players in the skydiving community. I am gradually working my way through all the episodes
Stearny