SkydiveBase

Sony CX520 any good?

OIS sucks unless you do nothing but fly flat (this was the problem with the HC-7) You are better off with the CX100, everyone I know that is jumping them loves them (mine is loaned to a friend while I recover from injury). ;)

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

most likely a no go because of a optical steady shot. 64 SOUNDS like a HDD. and gps and stuff might be a little overkill= overpriced

*I know nothing about this camera*

But 64 sounds like Solid State, not HDD. 64 is VERY common solid state size. I have never heard of a 64 HDD.
"Damn you Gravity, you win again"

Anyone have updated info on this camera? anyone using it?

I dont know a damn thing about camera's and I am looking to replace an old pc120 that got stolen.

OIS sucks unless you do nothing but fly flat (this was the problem with the HC-7) You are better off with the CX100

Said it all, you don't want a camera with OIS for skydiving, and there are perfectly good alternatives available in the CX100/CX105 or it's successor CX110/CX115/CX116.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

DSE (at least I think it was him) posted video of CX100 and CX520 side-by-side, doing freeflying and all. _I_ could not see any shaking (claimed to appear in freeflying with OIS cameras) in either CX100 or CX520, and I tried really hard to spot it.

Colors on the other hand looked much better (again, that was _my_ subjective observation), bit warmer.

I would still very much like to see "freefly shake" on a CX520 footage. The fact I haven't been able to find video showing the shake _might_ indicate that this model is actualy OK for skydiving and that OIS is getting better and better at being turned off during skydive ;)

I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

Freeflying an sich isn't the point, it's sitfly and backfly that'll act up the most with OIS. Not sure the video shown is head-up flying. Also, not convinced the OIS parts a;though shut off will not start moving later on as the camera gets used a lot for skydiving.

I'll stick with the cx105 and equivalents for now, as these work 100% and are cheaper. Tandems and teams are not going to care about slightly warmer colors anyway... I'l let others do the test-jumping then :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

sony says the chipset is better recording quality that transfers really to low light situations. Plus this model has a dock for a lamp. CX100 is the better choice for me. Everything I do with it is in daylight situations and 2 out of my 3 are on tripods at the top and bottom of the hill recording ground launching
...2cents

DSE (at least I think it was him) posted video of CX100 and CX520 side-by-side, doing freeflying and all. _I_ could not see any shaking (claimed to appear in freeflying with OIS cameras) in either CX100 or CX520, and I tried really hard to spot it.

Have you tried to look at the background only?
Maybe it's a personal thing, but I can see the whole background shaking quite obvious. (in the shots with the earth showing) More than enough for me to go for a CX100/105/115 etc.