Shoot

CX100/105 successor?

I'm going to buy a whole new setup this winter. While the CX100/105 might be the safe (and cheaper) option, getting a newer, upgraded version sounds also quite interesting. gotta have the newest toy, right? ;)

So, does anyone know what Sony has got in the pipeline??? (rumors will also do)

.... search Japanese sites.

..and by the time you're done learning the Japanese you'll need to read the sites, Sony CX465p DeLux is probably already out! :D:D:P
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Still current, but it's the consumer cycle. They're building fewer and fewer due to economy. They build to market forecast and then start tooling for next big thing.... Like the HC1, it has sold faster than expected.

Well, my Japanese is not up to the job. Can't seem to find it... Maybe someone can provide me a hyperlink? please :) (via PM)
I guess DSE's hands are a bit tied in this matter.

The CX100 is in my opinion not yesterdays news and I would be really happy to own one. In this forum you can read a lot that one should not buy equipment long before you will be able to use it. Mainly because of the reasons I described in my first post. That (and my curiosity) is the reason of my question.

It would be especially nice to know what the dimensions will be.

I think this is it in plain English.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665891057#overview

---------------------------------------------
If you don't have wings you will never fly

THe HDR-CX500V was recently released. Specs indicate it is a big step up from the CX100 but the price is over $1000.00, about double the current CX100 price.

• Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode
This improved version of Sony's Optical SteadyShot image stabilization corrects for a wider range of camera movement by enabling the camera lens to compensate for an even greater range of motion. In addition, 3-Way Shake-Cancelling adds roll stability which corrects for up and down wrist movement

Unless you are filming belly to earth or possibly wingsuit filming I would not buy this camera. All the OIS systems I see shake when used for free flying.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

8.3 MP frame grabs! the frame grabs alone almost make me wanna splurge on it...

I dont freefly much, just groundlaunch, BASE, and wingsuit, but I dont wanna limit myself to a camera that will suck for filming freeflying just in case I like it. Tough call if the price point were closer, if someone would just buy my damn snowmobile then I could justify it, but might have to stick with the tried and true cx 100 being less than half the price of the 500V.

"Dual Record with 8.3MP still image capture

Dual record capability lets you capture 8.3MP still images while shooting high definition video, so you can capture those special moments without having to switch recording modes."

so did I read this wrong then? does that mean record video while snapping photos with a bite switch or something?

EDIT: yeah, I guess that makes sense, oopsies.

Frame grabs are different. Just because it says dual record doesn't mean it can do multiple frames per second or even every few seconds. Also there will most likely be a lag from when you trigger a still and when it actually gets taken. In skydiving this is no good. if you are going to spend the $1100 why not buy a CX100 and then a Rebel SLR. Would likely be around the same price and you would get better quality stills. Just my .02 cents.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

To add a little to what has been said here (Phree and Mtn are correct), it's a myth that it's all about megapixels.
It's about glass optimized for imager size, codec, and bitrate for video, and imager size matched to glass for stills. We still haven't hit convergence where one camera will work for both purposes. We're getting there. Couple more generations, we'll be there as buffers grow larger and image processing gets faster, and storage devices get faster and fatter.

>8.3 MP frame grabs! the frame grabs alone almost make me wanna
>splurge on it...

Eh, you're not really going to get 8.3 MP of resolution, especially once you stick a wide angle lens in front. Take a look at any of the test shots taken here with different lenses. You'll see chromatic aberrations in the corner, focus issues etc. That's more resolution that the lenses we use will handle. I mean, you'll get all the pixels, but they won't look much better than a 2MP grab through the same lens.

To really get 8MP resolution you need a good lens, which doesn't exist yet for our level of camcorders. It does exist for SLR cameras, so some of the HD-capable SLR's may be a better option if you want really hires video and pictures with the same device.

>Your still stuck making a choice each jump if you are going to shoot stills
>or video even with the newest SLR's with video capability.

I've been having good luck with the CX100's shoot-through capability. On a day when I do 10 training jumps with a team, I'll end up with 50-60 pictures. Not super high res (2MP) but good enough for 3x5's and for web usage.