billvon

Rain!

A capture from video this weekend:

Everything survived except the lens, which now has a permanent fog spot in the center (a Raynox 5050.) I think it's inside the space between the two elements. Anyone have any tricks for getting it dried out?

A capture from video this weekend:

Everything survived except the lens, which now has a permanent fog spot in the center (a Raynox 5050.) I think it's inside the space between the two elements. Anyone have any tricks for getting it dried out?

Ouch! Wonder if any (full-faced) 4-way team member realizes the abuse us cameraflyers go through to get judgeable video on jumps like this one. I mean, we have an open-faced helmet and -can't- look away from the pelting rain. We're face first into it!

As for getting out the moisture....I've heard 2 different scenarios. 1) drill a little-bitty hole in the side of the lens to let it breath. That, or put the lens in a warm (not hot) oven and bake it out. Might have to do both steps. Drill -and- Bake. B|

What can you lose? The lens is ruined if you don't do anything . . .

PS: Was this at Otay or Perris this weekend?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Good trick to help dry up moisture on the cheap - Take the lens and toss it in a sealed container with rice. Try to suck all the air out of the container after you put the lens in the center of the rice. Put the entire container in the sun so it warms up as much as possible. The heat will expand the water into vapor and the rice will absorb all the moisture. We just saved an XT that had Gatorade spilled in it using this method last week.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Phree's advice is pretty common for broadcast lenses that leak. Although I've tossed adapters in an oven set to low heat, sunlight is probably smarter. Hope there was no chemical component in the rain that leaves a spot.

What about a vaccum pump? I know a couple of guys who used to put lenses in a vaccum to dry them out, something about the low pressure and the pump drying out the air.

Also, I've made it a policy that I don't jump cameras in rain. If it looks like rain, I just won't go up on a video jump. If I'm jumping with a team, I tell them this before jump #1, regardless of the forecast for the day.

It's just not worth it. Possible damage to expensive cameras (cameras I may need later that day if the rain passes, or the next day), and if it's RW, the fact that you have to fall face first through the rain. Nobody pays enough to offest those two factors.

The old "Jumped in the rain problem" arises again. Been there, done that. Got the fog spot. But that was 20 years ago. No real problems since then. I spent a couple of dollars, did a little research and ended the problem in about 12 hours. At the time we were jumping with Sony .42 wide angle lens on our video cameras. All wide angle video lens are the same, just constructed a little different. I'm not going into technical BS on lens, there are plenty others to do that for me.
Here's what you need:
1> A large bag of dessicant. Wa-Mart, crafts store, ect.
2> A pack of lens wipes. Wal-Mart, photo store, ect.
3> Anti-fog wipes or paste. CatCrap, scuba mask, ect.
4> A notepad for a drawing or two.
5> A hair dryer(optional)
6> A couple of packing rubber bands, including Tandem rubber bands.
7> Can of compressed air. Wal-Mart, photo store, ect.
One evening before bed, follow these steps. Dry out the dessicant as per the instructions that came with the bag. I put it in an old DRY coffee can. Disassemble the lens using the rubber bands for extra grip to unscrew the lens. A hair dryer can be use to warm up the lens body to help break the threads loose. Carefully lay out the parts and lenes as they come apart. Make notes on the order and direction of each part/element. Taking photos as you disassemble the lens works great too. YOU HAVE TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER IN THE SAME ORDER IT CAME APART!
Place all the parts in the dessicant and cover the container. Go to bed.
In the morning, remove the parts from the dessicant and clean all the parts with compressed air and lens wipes. Wipe and clean all elements with anti-fog of your choice. Do it a second time. Reassemble the lens and elements IN THE CORRECT ORDER. Make sure everything is tight with your rubberbands.
This process will keep your lens clear for at least 6 months to a year in Florida humidity. A final tip. If you take a 1/4 inch thick piece of foam and wrap it around the lens with a strip of gaffers tape to secure it, the foam will help keep the air temperature inside the lens more constant. Therefore, help reduce the chance of fogging.
If you have trouble disassembling the lens, drop by a photo store. You may need a lens wrench to dissemble your lens. If all else fails, just place the whole lens in the dessicant over night. It will remove the moisture, but if there is any spotting from the moisture on the lens, it will remain. Sorry.
A little fact. Using rice as a dessicant is really an old wives tale. Spend the money on real dessicant. It can be used over and over. Rent it out to videographers to cure their fogging problems. Hell, have a PJ/Lens Cleaning Party. Drink beer, swap lies, and defog your lens. Just avoid AIS sydrome(Alcohol Induced Stupidity). We all have suffered from it in the past. I suggest not doing it while your lens is apart. Can you picture the problems?

Wonder if any (full-faced) 4-way team member realizes the abuse us cameraflyers go through to get judgeable video on jumps like this one.

lol - ltdiver - the tail is me... and I do :-)

You're very special, George. :D

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon