Kevin.Chirico

Removing a Rawa Box

Is there a way to remove a camera box from a Rawa helmet? It looks like it may be riveted in. I am upgrading from my PC1000 to a CX100 and obviously need a new box but would rather not buy a new helmet.

Any tips? Is it worth it or should I sell the helmet and buy something compatible?
Ahhh, its great to be young and insane!

Not hard at all. Drill out the rivets. I then took a drimel cut off wheel to one of the stubborn ones and let it bite just a little into the head area and the box (just be careful to not go through the box). Then it popped right off.

Putting the new box on is just about as easy. Hold it in place, mark one hole, drill it out, rivet it in place. Do the next holes one hole at a time, there are 3 with the CX-100 box and your good to go. Very easy, takes about 30 minutes with the right tools. You can get the rivets and a cheap rivet gun for about $20 for everything at Home Depot or Lowes type stores.

Putting the new box on is just about as easy. Hold it in place, mark one hole, drill it out, rivet it in place.

Or... get some short, low profile nuts and bolts. Rivets are a pain in the arse when you realize that you need to change something, or if you decide that you want to get yet another box sometime later.