Nataly

More of a computer problem for the IT wizzes out there...

My internet access is intermittent.. I currently can only get on DZ.com or YouTube (but can't watch any videos).

I have a Mac.. Am connected via ethernet cable.. It started with a few isolated websites, where whenever I tried to connect to those websites my computer would claim I wasn't connected to the internet, but I could access everything else.. Gradually, it has affected more and more sites, until now I only have access to two!

Not sure if it's because it's late, because of some software update, because of a virus.. NO IDEA..

Help?
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Not an IT wiz by any means but,...

Are you using Safari? Have you tried Firefox? I have noticed some slowdowns with Safari lately, and I think it has a lot to do with what default DNS servers it looks up. If this is the case, there are some fixes out there, but it may be simpler to just change to Firefox first to see if this fixes it. If not,...well,...any IT wizzes out there?

It also may be better to post to your question to a more widespread forum for more responses.

Yeah, I thought the same thing.. Am now using Firefox, but no change. I've reset a bunch of stuff and rebooted and whatever I did seems to have done the trick.. But I did that last time & it came back - would be good to know what's causing it in the first place.

Plus I don't really know precisely what I did to fix it.. :S[:/]

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Try emptying your CACHE... in Safari it's under the Safari menu. You might also check your Firewall settings under System Preferences>Security and see what that is set up for.

With my mac it's always been my experience that if you can visit one site then you can visit them all...

Are you using any Torrent programs like Vuze or Transmission... these will overwhelm your network and pretty much shut down your browser while they are running as well.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

I think it has a lot to do with what default DNS servers it looks up.

Sounds more like a DNS issue than a network connectivity issue... DNS resolution is usually provided by your ISP, and in a DHCP environment is pretty transparent. I'm not a Mac guy, but there's bound to be a way to manually set the DNS servers you're using, and it would be worth a try to manually set them to something like this and see if the problem goes away. There's instructions on this page.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

opendns is awesome... good suggestion.

Also, to rule out it being any weird setting issue on the mac, you can go to the network system preference and create a new location. click apply and that will create a new set of default connection settings and make them active.

you can also use the network utility in the utilities folder to ping different websites and check for connectivity.

You can also unplug your router (if you have one) and connect the computer to the modem directly. Anytime you switch the device that the modem is connected to you have to restart the modem, so make sure to do that. The issue could be the router not routing packets correctly and this would rule that out.