vdschoor

Time to switch?

fellow videographers.. I need an opinion here..

My current setup is with HC-1 HD cameras, and I read all the reviews about the CX100, I look at how small it is, how light it is.. all that good stuff, but can it replace the HC-1 in picture quality and all that? Anyone made the switch? I noticed Jason Peters flying the CX100 as well.. is this the camera that is turning people away from tape finally? Opinions??

The reason I ask is because I notice for a lot of people on here the CX100 is their first HD camera.. and since I am completely setup with HC-1 cameras.. and they are still running great.. I want to make sure the switch is right..

If your current setup is working..and working well, why follow the sheep? No on says we ALL must have the same cameras. Use what you have, think of the future and shoot what you're comfortable with.

I am totally with you as far as "dont fix it if it ain't broken" or stick with what works..
I am just looking at the reduction in weight on the helmet...

Two CX100's weigh less than one HC1.
HC1 has greater latitude (dark to light) better low light sensitivity, larger sensor, slightly better compression algorithm. you can buy a small module from Sony (or others) that would allow you to go tapeless with the HC1, but that would cost about the same as a CX100.
The only benefits to the CX100 over the HC1, IMO, are:
Weight (less than half)
Tapeless (much faster capture/debrief)
Size (obviously much smaller)
Longer battery life
Replacement cost

Sony MRU (Memory Recording Unit).

This uses CF cards, has a firewire interface. You'd have a 4 pin cable from the HC1 (or other firewire camcorder) that runs to the 6pin input of the MRU.
I've used this several times in the past with the EX1 as a backup device. Works great.