virgin-burner

decent stills-camera that holds up skydiving-abuse?

Dude, let me be the first to say, search. I'll give you a hint for something to start with. Canon xti, xsi, xs.

That should keep you busy reading for a long time.

Glad i could help.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

yea, do a search and come up with threads from 2000.. i'm NOT going to skim through 279 pages worth of threads that contain the term "still camera"..

sorry man, not having a go at you, but if you cant be bothered answering.. dont! DO NOT tell me to use the search-function, as i already HAVE.. probably one of the few that actually knows that it in fact DOES exist.. :|

thanks for the canon-pointer, i'll look into that.. :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

He just told you your answer though. Canon stills rule the skydiving market , switches are readily available for them at most drop zones.
You can buy a nikon and have to make your own switches.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

He just told you your answer though. Canon stills rule the skydiving market , switches are readily available for them at most drop zones.
You can buy a nikon and have to make your own switches.

thanks for the canon-pointer, i'll look into that..

yes, he did! :)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

OK. Then get a Canon XSi with the Canon 10-22 lens and a blow switch. Easy.

Till dragon2 comes and recommends a nikon with a prime lens and mouth switch. Then it's not so easy, is it?? :)
Have canon cameras been mentioned in this forum before? I think i recall someone saying something about them once, a while ago. :P

Dave

>i'm NOT going to skim through 279 pages worth of threads that contain the term "still camera"..

OK. Then get a Canon XSi with the Canon 10-22 lens and a blow switch. Easy.

Or better yet, a Canon T1i and a fixed Canon 15mm lens.
http://www.exitshot.com

just get a canon or nikon, a prime lens or a zoom or use the kit lens, a bite, tongue or blow switch or maybe a hard wired or infrared remote, a camera condom or camera armor, a wobbly clamp or a solid one or just a thumb screw, and stick it someplace on your helmet, throw away the manual too since it will take more than 15 seconds to read it, and you will get some decent photos.
If you can't take the time to narrow your search criteria, why should anyone else take time to explain why they have made the choices they made?
At least make your question a little more clear. do you mean abuse during the skydive (wind and moisture) or do you mean abuse by skydivers (banging it into things, dropping it, opening it up in dusty conditions)?
I don't recall anyone complaining on here about any brand of still camera failing because of the harsh conditions a skydive exposes the camera to, when they use a little bit of care.

sorry man, not having a go at you, but if you cant be bothered answering.. dont! DO NOT tell me to use the search-function, as i already HAVE:)

This is almost the exact way you got started in the wingsuit forum. but at least this time you are not demanding answers. I don't blame you the bonfire is way more fun than extensive searches.

sorry man, not having a go at you, but if you cant be bothered answering.. dont! DO NOT tell me to use the search-function, as i already HAVE:)

This is almost the exact way you got started in the wingsuit forum. but at least this time you are not demanding answers. I don't blame you the bonfire is way more fun than extensive searches.

well, i dont demand you to like me either; but its noise like the nature of this post that a.) render the holy search-function pretty useless and b.) make the subforums so great, i rather like to spend my time in the bonfire. go make up your mind!

so, canon is the way to go!

oh, and thanks for the pointers to everyone!

and no, i dont think i'll throw a manual away, but skimming through hundreds of pages with threads with boatloads of smart arse answers is pretty unproductive, isnt it!? i bet you had fun writing that. ever thought of having fun in the bonfire!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

IMO the most important factor influencing the outcome in photography is the light. Second thing is perhaps the settings. Next thing that has influence is the lens. After that comes the utilization of the dark room and post processing phase.

Only after these more important factors mentioned are in order, you start noticing some difference with different camera bodies. Sure there are differences, but the body is not nearly the most important thing.

The reason im saying this is because, quite often you see people investing a lot of money to the camera body but using poor optics, pop-up flash, not taking any effort to post process the picture etc...

So unless you have a BIG budjet, I wouldnt recommend spending money to the body. Instead spend money to optics, Flash, photoshop etc.. and ofcourse spend time shooting on the ground and learning.

Just my two cents..

i just did a comparison of the signal/noise-ratio in this thread. if i dont count my own posts, and AM VERY CAREFULLY READING every bit and piece even in rather noisy posts that MIGHT INCLUDE VALUABLE INFORMATION, i still get a 1:1 ratio.

and some people wonder why i get snappy!?

thats a big fucking joke! :D:D:D

please refer to this thread!
imagine, i dont even know to use the search-function, i can even make ADVANCED CLICKY's! :S

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

:D:D:D

wasnt really directed at you actually, you just happened to be the last to respond..

actually, i like a good joke, and your post made me laugh, completely unrelated to my question anyway, but i'm sure you do have a point from a professional photographers point of view..

:D:D:D
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

-Check the SIM
-Ask your instructor
-You're gonna DIE

-Canon, you can find good prices on 2nd hand 300 or 350D's if you don't wanna spend lotsa money.

(unless you are already into photography and have already a favorite brand)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

yea, do a search and come up with threads from 2000.. i'm NOT going to skim through 279 pages worth of threads that contain the term "still camera"..

While we're on this subject... :P Is there a way to request a new feature for search function? Like "sort by" field? You know, sort by date, # of posts, stuff like that? I do love to read 1996 threads about which container is best for freeflying but it honestly does not help with buying new one in 2009.

Just a thought...
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

IMO the most important factor influencing the outcome in photography is the light. Second thing is perhaps the settings. Next thing that has influence is the lens. After that comes the utilization of the dark room and post processing phase.

Only after these more important factors mentioned are in order, you start noticing some difference with different camera bodies. Sure there are differences, but the body is not nearly the most important thing.

The reason im saying this is because, quite often you see people investing a lot of money to the camera body but using poor optics, pop-up flash, not taking any effort to post process the picture etc...

So unless you have a BIG budjet, I wouldnt recommend spending money to the body. Instead spend money to optics, Flash, photoshop etc.. and of course spend time shooting on the ground and learning.

Just my two cents..

Wanted to add emphasis to this. WAY too many people go buy a still cam, set it and forget it.

The difference between a vidiot and a photographer is a photographer actually understands the settings on their camera and knows when to use them.

I have to disagree a little with this. IMO the most important factor is composition

I've seen some kickass images taking with cell phones and point-and-shoots under the worst lighting and exposure conditions ;)

Here ya go...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3662764

Less than 2 weeks old. The nice thing about the search function is you can sort results by date, if you end up reading threads from 2000 then it's your own fault.

But even more obvious than reading the info already at your fingertips... you can try just looking up and reading the brand name off of the camera on top of the head of the next skydiving photographer you see. 9 out of 10 of them will be wearing Canons. Have you seriously never noticed that? I have whuffo friends who come to the DZ once or twice and take notice of all the Canon cameras.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

actually, its a month old; my thread started around TWO months back.. do the math! sorry, obviously, you cant! ;)

:S

edited to remove what could be construed a PA to all regular posters

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda