BirdWoman

Canon XS or XSi

Before my good old Canon rebelXT craps out I am looking at replacing it with either the XS or XSi. I have heard that the XSi has a lot of features that wouldn't really apply to what we are using it for. I could really care less about the 10.1 or 12.0 megapixel. There is only 0.6oz weight difference between the two and the overall dimensions are close enough to the same. I'm looking for feedback from others who are using one of these cameras to help me make my decision. Thanks!
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

I use the XS. I purchased it because I already had several SDHC type memory cards, plus I reasoned that by saving a little on the body I could afford to buy better glass. I've taken well over 10k pictures with my XS so far and so far I have no complaints with it. The upgrade from the stock 18-55mm to a Canon 10-22mm made a huge difference to me in picture quality as relates to skydiving. The 3.5 frames a second has been more than plenty, also the two cameras handle what happens when the buffer fills up a little differently I think. When I was doing the research I actually liked the XS better in that department. Not sure if that helps or not or if that was what you were looking for.

Yeah it does. I have been shooting with the 10-22 on my XT for over a year now and that was a big concern...how does that lens do with the new "IS" feature. I also noticed on the XSi that the "remote is 'optional'? :S

"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

Don't know about the remote. I know with the XS that I just us the 2.5mm bite switch setup and it works fine for me. I think IS is lens dependent and supported/enabled by the body. I don't notice any issues with the shots that I shoot on my 10-22. Most of the shutter speeds that I'm shooting at with that lens are during good day light and at speeds that IS would not come into play anyway though. Does your 10-22 have IS? I bought mine used so it may be before that was available.

I don't think my 10-22 has IS on it. I bought it new last year...it's the EF-S. I did go to best buy and looked at the two cameras. The XSi does have a remote port on it. Hopefully more people will ding in here soon and let me know their findings/opinions on the two. Otherwise I'll save some money and get the XS.

My XSi is the BEST Canon Rebel I have ever owned!!

The processing and built in bump on sharpness make for incredible shots!!

The ones I just posted to "best shot" were taken with it and a SIGMA 15mm. I could send you large file if you want to look at a full size shot.

Later,

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

I currently use the XSI (and yes it does have a port for a bite switch, no remote needed) On an Avg Tandem it is not uncommon to take between 60-80 pics (I have taken more of some though) XSI takes high quality pics for most of what we do.

I also own a 50D, but I doubt i would ever put that heavy SOB on my head B|

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

I use the XSI and I think it's great for jumping. Less weight, port for tongue/bite switch, 3.5 shots per second on sport mode. 12 mega pix. There are other cameras but for the lite weight and features of the XSI, it does great.

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!