Jabeln79

Vegas 8.0 and motion blur

We use vegas 8.0 at the DZ to edit Tandem videos. We will render as an avi file(mostly a SD avi, HD avi takes up a ton of memory) and burn with nero. The finished dvd is fairly blurry almost like watching a video after drinking too much. The blur happens when This only happens on the edits with a cx 100. The mini dv cameras that are fire wired play back fine. Also the same CX 100 plays/edits great through a linear editing board. Anyone else have this problem or know what might be wrong.
Blue Skies
Joe
"Knowledge is the antidote to fear."
--- Ralph Waldo Emerson

First, why on earth go to avi for anything, period?
Second, motion blur can be artificially added. are you _sure_ you're not adding it?
I suspect Nero and compression conversion rate is where this problem is occurring (why even bother using Nero?)
Rendering to avi first accomplishes three things;
-wastes a HUGE amount of time
-converts 4:2:0 color sample to 4:1:1 color sample to be converted back to 4:2:0 color sample for DVD
-Runs an exceptionally high risk of creating low-bitrate file on final output.

http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2009/06/29/the-top-10-must-fix-features-for-vegas/

Have a look at point number 4. I suspect you could have some frame blending going on - Try disable the resampling and deinterlacing, rerender and see if things improve. Also check out if your project settings are the same are your source footage, and that you are not dropping NTSC footage into a PAL timeline/wrong framerate, etc. (point no.5)

Oh, and if your render times seem exceptionally long, this is a hint some sort of resampling is happening. This has happened to me a few times B|.

Thanks for the help guys. NO. 4 seems to describe my problem. I will check to see if the default settings are being used.

As far as the AVI. I think thats what was done first when we were trying to figure out vegas when we installed it, and no one has changed it or told us the right way. Is there a better way to render the file, or a better file type, so we can burn to DVD thru Nero. Thats what we have right now. Thanks again.
Blue Skies
Joe
"Knowledge is the antidote to fear."
--- Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you have Vegas, you also have DVD Architect which is better than Nero for DVD authoring.
Render to MPEG2 in Vegas, this keeps things in one colorspace, speeds render times, and keeps colors more saturated and images will appear sharper.