baronn

best editing software for CX100

I've scrolled thru the posts and it's probably me, but It doesn't seem there's a consensus on what editing software to buy. Not crazy about downloading anything illegally and don't want to buy more than I need. I would like to be able to shoot the vid., add a leader, throw some music to it, drop the trailer and get the whole thing rendered and burned ASAP. I just got a new HP laptop w/6g of RAM and a quad core in it. Radion graphics card should be able to let this fly thru it. Any suggestions? DSE, How's the heal goin'?

For working with AVCHD, Premiere Pro CS4 or Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum are your best bets. In neither case will the graphics card cause it to "fly through" anything, but a fast 'puter with a fast HDD certainly will.

healing is going backwards, thanks for asking!

Now I'm really showing my ineptitude, what's HDD? I know what ADD is. Help the uninitiated. Sorry to hear 'bout the lack of progress in the healing dept. Wish there was more I could do 'bout that. I would really like to spend some time with you and get better at figuring out this stuff. I'll keep healing thoughts going your way.

HDD-Hard Disk Drive (I have *lots* of these)
AAD-Automatic Activation Device (I have two of these)
ADD-Attention DEficit Disorder ( You can't count that high related to me)
HD-High Definition, often confused with HDD due to stupid marketing.
HD camcorders can record to HDD but we can't use HDD camcorders for skydiving due to altitude problems.

I wish you could help with the healing process too. CRPS is _no_ fun at all. Avoid at all costs. During the Civil War, they dealt with CRPS via amputation (back then it was called "RSD").

Get Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum. You'll thank me for it later.

I hope you understand I meant I was ADD. The HDD is 500gig,should be OK I have a 1T remote storage. I'm going to take your advice and get the Vegas Pro.Thanx again for all your insight. A bit surprised that fine native American blood flowing thru your veins didn't have you up and jumping in a week. I'll do the nekked outside rain dance for you. Won't be pretty.

Hey DSE,
I bought CX100 recently and also have Pinnacle Studio Ultimate version 11 which I used with my previous camara. It says on the box that it handles HD but i never tried. Do you think I should upgrade to Vegas Movie Studio Platinum, or Pinnacle would work fine with HD? Have you heard any bad things about Pinnacle? I looked at vegas in the past and it looked a bit less staight forward than Pinnacle.
"Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off"
Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"

My answer to your question will be exceptionally prejudiced, so I'd recommend Googling the Pinnacle software. You'll find quite a few very unhappy owners.. But it does have a sexier interface.
Since you own Pinnacle 11, give it a go, see how you feel about it. I suspect you'll be less than thrilled, but at the same time, you might really like it.

Thanks.

I will give it a chance.

I read somewhere that you can not create menues in Blue Ray, but I think it is true to any software at this point. Do you know if this is true?
"Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off"
Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"

Thanks.

I will give it a chance.

I read somewhere that you can not create menues in Blue Ray, but I think it is true to any software at this point. Do you know if this is true?

You can create BD menus, of course. The questions are:
-how much scripting do you want to involve?
-how much money do you want to spend?

Sony has a fabulous deal on BluPrint with BluCode, together they're only 60K. ;)

But Sony DVD Architect for example, can do standard linked menus for BD. So can Encore.

Sort of on this subject. I too have a cx100 and I'm wondering what the best output format for quality vs file size while still in HD is. Or better worded, what output or media format will retain quality still be in HD and be a small file size. In addition I'm using sony vegas 8 and it will not allow me to import the m2ts files off the camera so I am using avs to make the m2ts into an mpeg HD 1080P Mpeg2 1920x1080.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

it's not about the format, it's about the bitrate. Any format can contain any number of bitrates ie; AVI can contain an MPEG stream encoded at 1.5Mbps (looking horrible) or an MPEG stream encoded at 25Mbps (usually looking terrific).

The delivery mechanism is ALWAYS the determining factor in what container and bitrate you choose, so you're asking an exceptionally open-ended question.
You're using Vegas Movie Studio 8, and it is probably worth it for the upgrade since you're shooting AVCHD.
Short answer....for *most* delivery, a 1280 x 720 at 10-15Mbps will give you a great HD image.