colinhaley1

Best POV Cams

I'm not a skydiver at all, but am asking this question here because this community seems the most informed on helmet cams.

I am interested in using a helmet cam for alpine climbing.

Desirable features are:
-works decently in cold weather, and is somewhat water resistant
-has at least a relatively wide-angle lens (I imagine this is important if using it for climbing)
-has a camera that is separate from the recording unit, with a remote to start and stop recording
-is relatively lightweight (under 300g would be great)

Preliminary research suggests that the VIO POV1.5 might be my best choice, although something lighterweight would be preferable.

Have any of you used the "JonesCAM?" (http://www.jonescam.tv/products/) It seems promising on paper.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. The Sony CX100 seems to be very popular on this site, but am i correct that you have to mount the entire unit on your helmet?

Thanks for the help,
Colin

I see a lot of guys jumping a GoPro lately (can mount almost anywhere + has a watertight casing) But cant replay on lcd and doesn't have superb quality images).
But relatively cheap and superwide angle (180°). Good for debriefings and stuff, not really for video editing.

http://www.goprocamera.com/
All speeding past collide and crashing, I'm in paradise.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. The Sony CX100 seems to be very popular on this site, but am i correct that you have to mount the entire unit on your helmet?

Thanks for the help,
Colin

Sounds like you're looking for a lipstick to put on your helmet/body, and record/playback on a separate unit. The Sony MC1 is right in line with what you think you want, but in reality...it probably isn't, Sizedmuch like the CX100, but with the features of the CX12, t has some wonderful features and it cam be easily mounted anywhere.
Any lipstick/POV cam that will be smaller than the CX100 will be VASTLY more expensive than a CX100. An Iconix, for example, about half the size, same weight, no recording unit; Cost is around 11K. But they're sexy....
For value, the CX100 is truly very hard to beat.

HTH

DSE, I'm a bit confused by your reply-

CAN you use the CX100 with an external lipstick/bullet cam? If not, it is out of question for me, because that is too much weight and bulk to mount on my helmet.

I am specifically looking for a unit with a lipstick/bullet cam that is separate from the recording body.

Thanks.

http://www.vio-pov.com/products/pov_1.php

seems like a neat POV camera, never tried it though....

Google "lipstick camera" and you get TONS of products, this happened to be the one that caught my eye
Some canopies can be fun to fly, but treat you like their bitch on opening. -- Jarno

If the CX100 is too bulky and heavy for your helmet/neck/head, then you're going to have to satisfy yourself with crappy video no matter what. The CX100 is significantly lighter in weight than any quality bullet/POV cam available. In fact, it's being used as a crash cam by major production companies because of cost, weight, and size.
The MC1 is the same size camera as the CX100, but is separate from the body. The lens head weighs in only a couple of ounces less than the CX100. The recording body of the MC1 is easily twice the weight of the CX100.
So...that leaves you with the Oregon Scientific, GoPro, and other "bottom end" camera. Again....if quality isn't your goal, then the MP4 source (not the same as AVCHD) might meet your needs.

HTH?