bdrake529

GoPro Hero HD!

First thing to look at is any background apps.
What you're describing is common, but I've never seen it this way.
In other words, QT usually plays smooth while Windows Media can't cache and decode it fast enough. You might wanna try VLC player as well.

GoPro specs out minimum class 4 SD card.
In other words what speed is the SD card you are using? I just worked with a friends GoPro HD he just bought but the card he ordered (class 6) from another vendor was not in yet so we used my class 2 card to check out the unit and after copying to PC and playing back we experienced the same issues you are. After rendering the file in Vegas 9 it played perfect.
I asked my friend if his class six card came in but have not heard back. My thoughts that night were that the class 2 card we had to try out had write speeds that may have been too slow?
Just my initial thoughts. Without testing with the faster card on the same camera I can not say for sure if that was what we had run into.

John Maggio

According to Quicktime Pro, the Mp4 file off the HeroHD uses the Ambarella AVC Encoder. I can import this file into Final Cut Express, and scrub through the video, but it won't play in a sequence without rendering.

I use an HC5, which captures in Apple Intermediate Codec and a CX100 which FCE "captures" (log and transfer) into AIC too. AIC plays in a sequence in FCE without the need for rendering. So I'm thinking it would be best to convert my HeroHD files to AIC.

Is this a good idea? Is there something faster than QT Pro for doing this conversion?
Brian Drake

First test footage from this morning. Shot in 720p mode. Converted to AIC via QT pro, then sped up 700% in FCE, output as H.264 with 5000kb/s limit. Uploaded to Vimeo and whatever conversion they do. Original Mp4 is sharper as the conversion process I used did soften the footage slightly, as well as remove some detail and add some artifacting. But even the original was "bloomy" and a little too soft for my liking. Still, can't beat the size, price, and ease of mounting. Not a bad supplemental camera.
Brian Drake

Could anyone tell me how does it compare to the contourHD 1080p? I saw a side-by-side review on Engadget but I'm still unable to make up my mind even though it seems the Gopro HD has a better picture quality.

On the other hand I think the contourHD form factor is better.

Tough choice!

I don't see it as a tough choice at all. The GoPro has a better imager, better lens, and cleaner image. Additionally, while it's form factor isn't ideal, it does handle some serious hammering.
Saw one torn from a helmet during a very bad landing. it rolled 50 feet on asphalt and recorded every bit if it.
the only thing I've noticed with the GoPro that's annoying is the gamma setup. That's easily fixed in post.

So my batch of GoPro H's arrived today and same problem.
I have tried VLC-Stuck in first frame, plays sound fine though.
OT-Skips a split second consistently as if you are taking continuous photos.

Put it on the Sony Bravia direct from the camera via composites and it is totally bad ass! Awesome camera for what it is, so naturally i took my R6 out to see how fast we could get the bike on camera.

I 100% believe that it is the computer not being able to process it. I first thought it was the memory card, as my memory card is shit, but after seeing it on the big screen, it has to come down to the USB and not being abl to get the information out fast enough and the media device to process it fast enough??? Dont know much about that sort of stuff, but it seems logical.

I am going to try Real HD media player in a minute and see if that changes things. I played with the output settings on VLC and it just got worse. QT had the best hope but i am no running QT HD

If someone finds a fix..............

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Ok-after a bit of trolling the internet I found this-http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/highdefdvd_test_page2.html
I updated the codec on WMP using this method and it plays the files super smooth. Still have a prob with the sound-seems to play audio 2sec out of sync with the video. So i'm looking for a new sound card driver this morn.

I just plugged it into my laptop running Windows 7 and it worked very well. Was awesome.

I started stocking my new dz gear store today and straight away while setting it up, Had 5 people tell me they wanted to buy 1-3 each.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I had the same problem. although when i played it with the vlc player, it worked fine when playing speed was below 1.

then I installed the k-lite-codec pack. using the integrated media player classic solved all my problems. its quite a cool tool. you can also change playing speeds if you want to watch slow-motion etc.

hope it works for you too...

My first actual field test of HD GoPro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMWmy9SnVPg
It was shot in 1080, converted to Quicktime, then uploaded to YouTube without any post processing.

For the money, it's a great little gadget. It's not quite as colorful or sharp as Sony, but heck, for the money and size, it really can not be beat.

I had to use Final Cut to flip the image vertically since I mounted the camera upside down. GoPro is supposed to have a firmware update for it so I don't have to, but it is not on their website yet.

On a related topic, what would be the best on/off indicator light for it? I prefer not drilling any hole through the waterproof case.

4D Bill

Nice piece.
Interesting you'd comment that you find it less colorful. IMO, it's more saturated (scopes bear this out too) but "colorful" is a subjective issue. It's certainly not as sharp nor contrasted, but for the price...it's a great cam (as you say). They're also tough as nails. Saw one do well over a dozen tumbles when torn from a helmet during a botched swoop (in the non-waterproof case). Dusted it off, blew out the card port, and it was playing nicely.

Keep in mind that as you convert to QT, it's a process. Technically a postprocess. Depending on which codec you used in the conversion to QT, there are any number of small weirdnesses that can occur during transcode.

Unless Trunk or someone else has taken one apart and figured out an on/off indicator via either the USB port (I don't know that it passes this information) or can figure out a hack for the internal indicator, I don't know that you'll find an external on/off indicator.

As far as I've seen they have super sticky tape on the mount, you just peel off the protective paper off it, place the mount over the helmet area you want and press it so it glues to it.. Then attach the camera to the mount..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean