bdrake529

GoPro Hero HD!

Well I guess the early-bird gets f*cked. I ordered mine from pointofviewcameras.com (they were the first site offering pre-orders, even before GoPro.com, to my knowledge) the last week of September and mine probably won't arrive until next Friday. Not in time for the Elsinore Wingsuit event, which was my primary plan for the camera.

Oh well....
Brian Drake

My email says "Gopro has finally communicated a firm date that they will be shipping the cameras to us. They will ship the Helmet HEROs to us this Friday, and we should receive them towards the end of next week. We should be in a position to ship them late next week."

This from helmetcamcentral.com.

HW

Well I guess the early-bird gets f*cked. I ordered mine from pointofviewcameras.com (they were the first site offering pre-orders, even before GoPro.com, to my knowledge) the last week of September and mine probably won't arrive until next Friday. Not in time for the Elsinore Wingsuit event, which was my primary plan for the camera.

Oh well....

for some reason my tracking number still wont load. comes up with "tracking number could not be located" Whens the wingsuit record attempt?

Just ordered mine from GoPro's Website. This is what was sent to me on my confirmation email.....

Based on today's date, the current *estimated* shipping window for your
particular order is: week starting 23-Nov-2009
For update-to-date information, you can visit http://gopro.com/hdshippingstatus

Mine was shipped Thursday and I picked it up this morning. Flew with it at ZHills. I love it, great little recorder.

Uses an internal Li-ion battery rechargeable via mini USB. Which is great since I have a car charger for that for my phone. Seemed to shoot really nice video too, but then I've never shot 1080p before so I can't really compare it to anything else.

Mine was shipped Thursday and I picked it up this morning. Flew with it at ZHills. I love it, great little recorder.

Uses an internal Li-ion battery rechargeable via mini USB. Which is great since I have a car charger for that for my phone. Seemed to shoot really nice video too, but then I've never shot 1080p before so I can't really compare it to anything else.

Can you please post up a video of the quality of the video?

I have a server to upload to if you wish. Email me at niteqwill (at) GMAIL dot com
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

Can you please post up a video of the quality of the video?

Yeah, here's some raw footage I'll put up on Amazon S3 for a bit. All the vids have 2-3 mins of "sitting in an airplane", because I haven't changed up my gear up routine yet to work with a camera.

This jump was done at about 3 in the afternoon. Sunny skies, good light.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/gopro/zhills_paul.MP4

Another wingsuiter had the older model Go Pro camera, here's that same dive from his perspective as a comparison.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/gopro/zhills_paul_nonhd.AVI

Here's a sunset jump. It got dark pretty quick out, fairly low light. Most of the guys took off their sunglasses so they could see under canopy.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/gopro/zhills_sunset.MP4

Here's a jump I did the next day. Around noon, complete cloud coverage at 6k that I had to go through(was very thick too). The other guy was flying one of those Sony HD CX cameras and while the picture quality up top was better, after passing through the clouds he had heavy condensation on the lens. The go pro cleared up pretty well.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/gopro/seb_clouds.MP4

The 3 jumps I did on it Saturday didn't see the battery life go down from full. So figure 20-30 mins recording that day with it still being fully charged. I didn't pre-charge the battery after I got it in the morning. It came fully charged.

I've never shot video before and didn't have any problem using the device. Angle size in 1080p mode(127 degrees) seems to work really well. I don't use a ring sight or anything. Just bought a hurricane 2 freefly helmet, slapped the camera on top and started jumping.

Very very happy with it.

Nice. The sunset jump is SRGB on the top end and computer RGB on the top end, or appears to be, based on laptop scopes and the latitude in the shot. Very interesting. Never seen that done intentionally before, but if that's their intent, it's pretty smart.

After a little bit of time with it, it's pretty much what I expected. A full review forth coming.
In low light, the suck factor is pretty high. We could see nasty artifacting and macroblocking in 720p60 mode, just inside the aircraft until the sunlight hit the fabric. Noise galore, too.
but...
The outside footage is well done, grades are sufficiently squished, whites are whte while blacks are not super black.
For the dollar, nice job.

Played with it more this weekend. Last weekend it was reporting a full charge when I was done so I didn't charge it or anything over the week and it died on the 1st jump Saturday.

After about 1 hour of charging on a laptop it was reporting a full charge again and worked fine for the rest of the day(maybe 45-60 mins of video).

So, it might be like a neptune in that the battery is either full or dead. But it charges quickly and you can charge it off of any USB which is pretty universal.

I just did two jumps with the GoPro Hero HD set to 720p60 and I really like the picture quality. My only problem is that I can't figure out a way to edit it! I am running windows 7 64 and Vegas 8.1 and Vegas won't open the GoPro HD's MP4 files. I've tried a slew of free converters but nothing is retaining the original quality. Anyone having any luck? (aside from Macs running final cut pro)

I'd been using VLC to watch quicktime files...now I've got QT installed and Vegas is playing nicely with the GoProHD. A 2-minute fix for a problem that vexed me for hours...you continue to amaze me. Thanks for all you do for this sport...

-Trevor

You're most welcome. I wish I could fly as well as I know Vegas.
As a side note to anyone reading this thread and using Vegas (and other NLE's that don't install the QT installer), for viewing .tif and QT-wrapped files in Vegas, you'll need to have the Quicktime authoring tools (free) or QT Pro (29.00) installed to use the GoProHD or the ContourHD camcorders. Vegas doesn't have a QT decoder license, and they shouldn't install one, IMO. Vegas essentially "picks up the phone" and calls the decoder only when needed. This way it's not running in the background all the time. Helps keep Vegas small and fast, which is why you'll notice NEVER having to render for preview.
Set your preview to Preview/Auto for best results with the GoProHD. Depending on your processor speed, you SHOULD see full frame rate at this setting.