bdrake529

GoPro Hero HD!

Hi,

Nigel can you get a picture of the bracket? I could not find anything on their webpage.
To mount it on a helmet with the standard box it seems to have a lot of snag points.

cheers,
Marcus

According to Reinier at RCB-Lab, which manufactures the Zkulls, they do have a system, but they are currently refining it as they aren't 100% happy with it.

In the meantime, they do offer this option that can done with the Zkulls:

(Written by Reinier)

I attach you pictures and you will see how easy you can convert the GoPro mounting foot (which is included in the Hero pack) at close to 0 expense.

All that's needed:

- remove the double sided scotch from the foot
- place the foot on the Zkulls Insert
- mark the 4 holes for attachment
- drill a slight sink at the top side of the foot (so the camera can slide into the mount as it's designed)
- attach it with 4 screws
- sand down the corners of the Hero Foot (it is bend downwards and it needs to be flat at the bottom of the foot so the ZkullsTM can click in)
done

We are waiting for the HD to come out to see if the plastic case is still the same. If the case changes, we might be able to offer a different economic attachment solution.

The LAB is just finishing another solution to front mount the HERO using the top mounted ZkullsTM. This one will hopefully be done by the end of next week.

Best regards
Reinier
ChutingStar.com

What exactly is macro blocking?

I've been looking around for a comparison of the Contour and Gopro HDs. http://pointofviewcameras.com/blog/pov/article/compare-the-vholdr-contour-hd-against-the-competition says that the Gopro uses mp4 while the Contour uses H.264. Would that reduce (eliminate?) the problem? H264 is a proper HD format isn't it?

mp4 part 10 and h.264 are the same thing.
Bitrate is the key. Neither camera is locked into a bitrate because they're avoiding the AVCHD moniker/compression, which is based on mp4 pt 10/h.264.

Macroblocking is small blocks of pixels that 'square' up or create pixilation due to compression artifacts, or the camera not being able to keep up with movement, high contrast, or combinations of both. It can be particularly ugly in low light.

Cool, I think I know what you're talking about then.

So is there a certain specification that would indicate whether the picture quality on one is better than the other or for a compact HD camera, are they likely to be pretty similar in the end?

Hey Guys,

You don't need to do anything that complicated. GoPro has a tripod mount. Check their website. With the tripod mount all you will have to do is screw it to the Zkulls. Simple.

Well how about that. :P Nice!

Here's the link:
http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=24

Sonic is my hero...

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Cool, I think I know what you're talking about then.

So is there a certain specification that would indicate whether the picture quality on one is better than the other or for a compact HD camera, are they likely to be pretty similar in the end?

Last question first. No. They will likely not be similar in the end.

It all boils down to the efficiency of the encoder, the bitrate, the imager size/quality, and the lens in combination with each other.
Your cell phone is likely h.264, and likely has a 3-6Mbps rate. Stick a better lens, better encoder, and better imager in that same size space as a dedicated camera, you'll likely have a significantly better image.

Unfortunately, h.264/mpg4 that isn't AVCHD doesn't carry a minimum standard and the first 50,000 licenses are free to the manufacturer, so the quality can absolutely suck or absolutely shine.

From everything I have been reading, given the size and versatility of this cam, for 300$ you really can't beat it, and comparing it to a 600$ camera with a 200$ lens is pushing it a bit. Like someone said, unless you are planning on viewing the raw footage on a 50" in screen, image quality(seen by the human eye) will be exactly the same as any camera you can get your hands on when put on a computer and put on the internet. If you look at their website and check out the specs page, they are obviously not afraid to reveal the capabilities of the new HD Hero. With that, I am pre ordering very soon, perfect little camera, I am not doing any professional videoing, just getting footage of my usual jumps so it fits the profile for something I want. I mean 300$ or over a grand? lol

Also...I know the recommended jump number to fly camera, and am fully aware of the sticky topic, so lets leave this to discussion of the camera, and not on who should jump one.:P

-Evo

Zoo Crew

From everything I have been reading, given the size and versatility of this cam, for 300$ you really can't beat it, and comparing it to a 600$ camera with a 200$ lens is pushing it a bit. Like someone said, unless you are planning on viewing the raw footage on a 50" in screen, image quality(seen by the human eye) will be exactly the same as any camera you can get your hands on when put on a computer and put on the internet. If you look at their website and check out the specs page, they are obviously not afraid to reveal the capabilities of the new HD Hero. With that, I am pre ordering very soon, perfect little camera, I am not doing any professional videoing, just getting footage of my usual jumps so it fits the profile for something I want. I mean 300$ or over a grand? lol

Also...I know the recommended jump number to fly camera, and am fully aware of the sticky topic, so lets leave this to discussion of the camera, and not on who should jump one.:P

-Evo

~ no one has compared it to any camera quality. The question above was clearly about technology, and bottom line is that if you don't have some rudimentary understanding of the technology, you're going to be challenged when it comes time to edit/output.

~ No, it will NOT be "the same image quality" as most camcorders currently in use. ESPECIALLY on a 50" monitor. It's absurd to remotely suggest it is.

~ published specs don't mean anything. Only a sucker believes what marketing tells them. Until I've had hands-on with the camera, you could tell me it makes Viper pale and will make my coffee. Panasonic announced a new HD camcorder that was hyped for two years. When it shipped, users found it had an imager smaller than a PAL SD camcorder.
For example, do you know the actual peak VBR of the Hero HD? What size is the CMOS? What encoder technology are they using since it's not AVCHD? It's potentially 12Mbps, but as their own page says, "the bitrate may change." 12Mbps in AVCHD is barely passable, let alone MP4.
Yes, the camera *appears* to be really promising. At one time, I looked very promising to my exwife.

~ From what you've been READING, vs what you've actually seen, touched, edited, output and know anything about are very disparate. I've read one helluva lot about skysurfing and CRW, but I'm not ready to go out and attempt either one.

~It's great you are aware of the recommended jump number to fly a camera, and odd you're so cavalier about safety with a camera. If you've read the sticky, then you've read from at least 20,000 jumps experience telling you that it's not the camera thats the problem.

No I agree 100% Really don't know until you've got yours hands on it, I was just making assumptions based on the information currently available. Who knows it could be a lemon, but then again, that wouldn't be good for business, especially for a company whose target population is relatively small in number. It could not live up to all the hype, and not be exactly what everyone expected, but I do not forsee any major complications, it would be economic suicide on their part. Anyways, Ill let ya know once ive played with it :-P

Like I said, I am aware of the sticky, know the danger is not just in camera itself....I am not ignoring the thousands of experienced jumpers, its a choice, and one made with modest intent for a good while to come.

-Evo
Zoo Crew

now that the ContourHD will soon be a 1080p camera, i think it too looks very nice!
1080 @ 30 fps
720 @ 60 fps

and if understand the mail correct i got this morning, you can (soon) mount a filter if you need.
perhaps more wideangle?

It gets better. In November we have a new Lens Kit coming that not only includes a lens repair kit, but enables you to screw on standard 37mm filters. That means you can use a standard camera filter on your ContourHD or ContourHD1080p to adjust for lighting conditions on the go!

the quality seems good http://www.vholdr.com/contourhd/videos
and the much lower profile of the ContourHD compared to the GoPro makes the choise easy... well for now:P

anyone have release date yet?

Pre-ordered mine yesterday. Said it would ship Nov 2nd. I picked Fed Ex overnight and hope I'll have it in time for the Keys Boogie on the 5th.

have a link for the preorder? Im not seeing it or at least my computer is not loading the page correctly.

nevermind! it loaded. nov 2! woot

I got a response from go pro:

Hi Manuel,

We’re expecting to start receiving stock of the HD HERO at the end of this week. We can not guarantee any shipping/delivery dates for the HD HERO. We’ll be working hard to get through all orders as quickly as possible.
Once your order ships, you’ll receive an email with your tracking info.

Many thanks,

GoPro Support
http://www.goprocamera.com