bdrake529

GoPro Hero HD!

I've been quite impressed with how easy it is to get very cool angles with the GoPro Hero. Unfortunately, the video quality is horrific (I'm an HD snob now), so I've not considered it anything more than a cool toy.

Could this change that?

http://www.pitchengine.com/gopro/gopro-to-launch-new-wearable-hd-camera-from-the-skies-at-outdoor-retailer/18503/

(credit to Jarno for posting on his WWWN).

Anyone played with this camera yet? Reviews?

Release says it'll be $299. I just got a CX100 for $439. I'd imagine the lens and imager (Exmor) is much higher quality on the CX100, so I'm not sweating my purchase at this point. But if the lens/imager is half-way decent on the GoPro, and it shoots in 1080p, it could be an interesting contender due to its smaller size and thus, easier ability to mount in creative locations.
Brian Drake

Hypoxic is actually a dealer with GoPros. I'll try to get a sample as soon as possible. I too thought the SD version was a neat camera, but the quality was pretty damn bad. Hopefully they also fixed the black dot sun problem.

-Trunk
HYPOXIC

Hypoxic is actually a dealer with GoPros. I'll try to get a sample as soon as possible. I too thought the SD version was a neat camera, but the quality was pretty damn bad. Hopefully they also fixed the black dot sun problem.

-Trunk

That's a relatively "easy" fix, I'm betting they don't have any dynamic range restriction (which is dumb, because they'd get a better image with narrower latitude).
I had forgotten you'd become a dealer. Justin rocks, yeah? They're really good people. One of those situations where my opinion was swayed 180 from my original (I thought their products all sucked, based on an early product experience).
They are 110% a rock-solid company to deal with.

-Trunk

I was curious about the black hole sun issue, and release date for the HD GoPro... so I e-mailed their tech support, and heres' the answer I got:

Sent: Jul 28, 2009 5:15 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: GoPro Case 08642: When will the HD version be available?

Hi Chris,

Sorry, but at this point we do not yet have an estimated release date for the HD HERO. The image sensor that will be used in the HD HERO will be able to accurately represent direct sunlight.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Many thanks,

GoPro Support
http://www.goprocamera.com

I'd seen that, but the first "review" is as valuable as the paper it's printed on. No discussion of dynamics, no discussion of imager, noise, bitrate, etc.
This guy got a first look, but it appears he wasn't allowed to edit or transfer. The information he posted has been available from Justin at GP for a while now.
I'm expecting it to be a decent cam, and they say they've got the dynamic range issue licked...but at the expense of what? If anything?

Damn, that does actually look pretty good.

And I must admit, if it's genuinely good quality, I'm going to be a bit pissed off.

Camera helmet - $500
Various RAM mounts - $75
CX100 - $430
Opteka 0.3x - $100
Hypeye D - $100
CX100 Box - $100

If this little bitch can accomplish essentially the same thing (cool mounting positions, good quality footage, wide angle), with more variety in mounting locations (due to size/weight), I'll shell out for it, but I won't like it.

Please Spot, tell me something bad about the GoProHD to make me feel better...
Brian Drake

Looking through the samples, some of the footage is in 4:3 and isn't as impressive (like the BASE stuff), while the 16:9 stuff really makes me go wow! Is this mixing GoPro SD with GoProHD footage. Will the HD have a 4:3 SD option? The 16:9 footage makes me want to buy this now. The 4:3 footage, not so much.
Brian Drake

You're not seeing it on a big screen. That's where you'll see the macro-blocking of this, and other small format mp4 cams. Don't be pissed, you're in the best situation. Macroblocking is bad enough in AVCHD as it is.
Very wide lens plus mp4 shrunk down for the web=good picture. Same thing on a 42" panel...not so good.

I think you oughta put a mount inside your container so we can see those lines lifting out. Maybe a mount on your chin cup with the stickum tape. ;)
j/k Serious about the in-canopy, even if it's just for 7 seconds from deploy to ground.

It'll cut well as long as it's not a primary view cam. Because it's 4:2:0 colorspace, it'll allow you to match it up reasonably well using Color.

the HD is much improved but still has the jello

when I tried it the 1080 option was acting up, but I am sure they will fix that before release

I will be getting one for sure, under the proper lighting conditions the size fully outweighs the quality issues

Now how will I grade GoPro, CX100 and 5D Mark II footage together?