Skydave103

Broken mount cx-100

[email protected] They will be happy to assist you at: (800) 488-7669

That is the ph# and email I was using to contact them. Hopefully you will get a better result than I did.
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

Ordered the new camera friday night, just got it!! Back in business. :)

Have a rigger make you something like the attached. Cut slits in the top of the helmet to the left and right of the flat lock with a dremel and run the strap through the helmet and around the camera.

The wider one inch piece of webbing by the female end is so the plastic connectors aren't rubbing against the camera. If you want to get fancy you can use a one inch wide piece of neoprene.

BH was warning about this with Sony's latest cameras. Did you happen to buy from them? I would not be surprised that if you complain to BH they may be able to do something like get a replacement. I can ask my BH guy if anything ever happened from their complaint. They have seen a lot of these in the field.
HYPOXIC

I tried to epoxy the mount once it had broken lose, it worked for a little bit.
Maybe try to solder it back in place and add some sort of reinforcement.
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

I have had this break already. I am going to investigate a way to reinforce my new unbroken mount to prevent this for the future. If I find anything out ill post it here.
Indoor Skydiving Source - The Leading Indoor Skydiving Resource

I have had this break already. I am going to investigate a way to reinforce my new unbroken mount to prevent this for the future. If I find anything out ill post it here.

How much did you pay for your new mount? Or did you buy a whole new camera?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Have a rigger make you something like the attached. Cut slits in the top of the helmet to the left and right of the flat lock with a dremel and run the strap through the helmet and around the camera....

+1

I have a 3/4-inch piece of webbing that goes over both my video and still camera on my SkySystems Vapor Wes Pro. It doubles as my way to keep the LCD screen closed on my HC-5. It is one click away from accessing the screen, and adds that added piece of insurance against hard openings. I'll see if I have a pic to post.

I bought the whole bottom assembly for some ridiculous 66 bucks or something. i did add express shipping so i could jump with it the next weekend. I think the part was something like 45-55 bucks. I am in the process of reinforcing this piece and i will post pictures of the part I had to buy in a bit.

I just pulled the plate apart for some reinforcement surgery. The last time this part broke, the tab off the screw mount sheared off from the pressure. My idea is to take the stress from the tab/screw section and spread it out across the whole assembly.

I took the whole deal apart then cleaned and scored the metal. I put some jb weld around the tab of the screw piece that sits on the bottom of the plate and put it in place with the screw. I put the whole 3 piece combination back into the plastic elbow and screwed it back together. I plastered the top of the screw mount with some more weld.

I am still going to tighten this thing like its going to bust, so I won't be able to report on how it works but its some peace of mind to know its better than it was.

In your "parts together" image, is there anyway to reinforce that side of it? It won't hurt to do what you did, but that will help more in a situation where the housing is getting pushed into the camera. The bolt housing tab is shearing because the thumbscrew is drawing the housing out the bottom of the camera. Preloads on bolts like this could easily draw the housing out of the epoxy too (epoxy is much better at preventing something being pushed through it than it is at preventing something being pulled out of it.)

/edited to add side note: this effect is made worse by the use of foam or cork under the camera body because it creates a gap between the bottom of the bolt housing and the next hard surface it is being drawn to. That's why it's better to rely on registration pins/plates or straps/boxes to keep the camera straight. None of that changes the fact that Sony dropped the ball here by only mounting a tripod bolt housing on one side. :S

The bolt housing tab is shearing because the thumbscrew is drawing the housing out the bottom of the camera. Preloads on bolts like this could easily draw the housing out of the epoxy too (epoxy is much better at preventing something being pushed through it than it is at preventing something being pulled out of it.)

/edited to add side note: this effect is made worse by the use of foam or cork under the camera body because it creates a gap between the bottom of the bolt housing and the next hard surface it is being drawn to. That's why it's better to rely on registration pins/plates or straps/boxes to keep the camera straight.

This is kind of what I was getting at when I asked if the housing was pulling off or twisting off. At that point I hadn't seen an image like the one above "parts together." What that image implies is that if you do have a gap (caused by foam or otherwise), the tiny screw in that picture ends up taking all the preload on your large tripod screw.

I think, since I have zero gap under the housing, that I am immune to this issue. I am not willing to test it out, but no matter how much I torque my tripod screw, the housing has nowhere to go because it is reinforced on the backside by a carbon fiber plate with a hole JUST large enough for the tripod screw, which means it's not large enough to allow the threaded housing to pull out (on my setup, I mean). However, I could still lose the camera (from camera impact) by the same flimsy tab shearing in the same location. Having such a beefy tripod screw is pointless if all the load is transferred to a flimsy tab like that.

Skydave, did yours break along the same line indicated in Vincearnone's "last break" image?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

A note is that my last mount broke while I was attaching it to the flatlock plate which does have a small foam pad. On my new cam mount the screw sits directly on the metal. I haven't had problems with this new mount, but I also didnt have problems with the flatlock mount by being much more careful.

With the foam/cork you're kinda damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you're careful and don't compress the foam very much it probably means you're not achieving a very good preload on the bolt and you the risk of the camera rocking forward to back and stressing the tab out that way. (...or of the bolt coming out :o)

If you mount to something like carbon fiber with a hole just big enough for the bolt (as Matt was saying) and throw a strap over the top that will probably be the most durable.

What about adding a piece of carbon fiber on the inside?
I don't have any experience with it but it could work.

by saying that I mean using cf cloth and the resin, not a piece already cured.

Well it happened again!!
didnt lose the camera this time but it would have been gone if it wasnt strapped in.

ordered a new lower cabinet (57 w shipping) and i bought some carbon fiber to reinforce it

https://www.carbon-fiber.us/small-carbon-fiber-kit-with-cf-cloth-material-and-epoxy-resin-p-382.html

so i'm hoping this will fix it once and for all!!