Skydave103

Broken mount cx-100

DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN MOUNTING SCREW!

So Sat I was putting the base plate (flat lock. No box) on my camera, tightened it too hard (I really didn't put that much pressure on it)and the mount on the camera snapped.
Now all i could do was make it snug. had to keep it from spinning by using gaffers tape.

Got through the weekend and took it apart to see how I could fix it. Thought about a box, but it also uses the mount to secure it. and they are $195!!

I got the mount back where it is supposed to be and used epoxy on it. It seems to be holding, but I don't want to put too much pressure on it until it's full cured.

I'm hoping to jump tomorrow and see how it works.

Once the cover is off it makes it real easy to take off the hand strap. Unlike some other Sony's that you had to cut them off. This is a nice bonus.
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

I also (depending on rush) jump the CX100/105 just in a Dbox without a screw in the camera itself.
Just always make sure your box is closed properly, and there is sufficient padding inside to make sure the camera doesnt shake or move around.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Thats all good if you want to jump a box. I don't jump a box. It was just to bring attention if you use a screw mount the you need to be careful.

The boxes cost about as much as the camera and in 6 months there will be another better/greater camera that will not fit in the box. So now I'm stuck with a $200 box that is useless.
Been there done that.
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

I broke my cx100 in the exact same way. I ended up ordering the bottom l bracket piece that you have pictured. Its something like 45 bucks if you call the sony parts and accessories line. They are very hard to understand, and after getting two different part numbers i ended up with the right one. Crappy deal, but worth the money to have the cam as good as new. I cant remember what the part was called or what the part number was, just make sure if you have to order one that you tell them it is the part that contains the tripod screw and they should get the picture.
Indoor Skydiving Source - The Leading Indoor Skydiving Resource

Sucks to hear this Dave but thanks for the heads up.

Also remember to do something to close the viewfinder if not using a box. I forgot once and mine is just a little wobbly now. Someone else's video shows it briefly flip open and closed twice on the jump but it held on like a champ and still works.

I guess Sony deserves some credit that it didn't rip off at sitflying speeds.;)

"... this ain't a Nerf world."

Any chance you have the part number? I just ripped mine off as well.

I looked around for a part # but i'm guessing if you dont talk to a camera repair shop you not going to find it on the web.
The epoxy has held up well. Still going strong and hasnt broken loose 'yet'.

Robin,
I have been using gaffers tape to hold the door closed and it's worked quite well. :)

you're not alone. I had a screw mount break out of a CX-12 using a flatlock. Just a *hair* overtightened. that's all it takes. It would be nice if Sony would reinforce that part of the camera. I don't use boxes either and jumped the camera for the rest of the weekend with an elastic strap strung tightly over the top of it. It was secure unless something actually ripped it off my head. No discernible shake.
I like the lightweight of the CX series of cameras, but all that plastic definitely has its disadvantages.
cheers,
pope

Well the epoxy held for a bit but failed yesterday (friday the 13th!)
I was talking to Sony before the jump and trying to buy the new plate for the camera. Which they sent me the wrong diagram!! (fucking customer service!)

So any way if you strip out the tri pod mount you will prob lose your camera. It was a good opening and went up to shut off the camera and all i had was empty space.

Very expensive skydive.>:(>:([:/]

When I get the correct part number I will post it.

Wow, I've been putting some "moderate" torque on my screw with no problems yet. Guess I'll have to lay off a bit.

Could you post a picture of the surface that you were mounting the camera to? Basically, what I'm wondering, is was there a hole in that surface large enough for the threaded portion to back out into?

Did the threaded portion snap off from the torque, or from the tension created by the torque? (in other words, was it twisted off or pulled off?) Could you post a better picture of what the failed piece looks like (if you still have it)?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Well the epoxy held for a bit but failed yesterday (friday the 13th!)
I was talking to Sony before the jump and trying to buy the new plate for the camera. Which they sent me the wrong diagram!! (fucking customer service!)

So any way if you strip out the tri pod mount you will prob lose your camera. It was a good opening and went up to shut off the camera and all i had was empty space.

Very expensive skydive.>:(>:([:/]

When I get the correct part number I will post it.

good thing you saved all that money by not using a box. :S

Could you post a picture of the surface that you were mounting the camera to? Basically, what I'm wondering, is was there a hole in that surface large enough for the threaded portion to back out into?

It was mounted to a flat lock bracket.

Did the threaded portion snap off from the torque, or from the tension created by the torque? (in other words, was it twisted off or pulled off?) Could you post a better picture of what the failed piece looks like (if you still have it)?

the tripod mount is just a nut fused between 2 pieces of plastic! made very cheaply.

This is the last pic i took of it.

Could have used that schematic a few weeks ago. Thanks Sony!

Ordered the new camera friday night, just got it!! Back in business. :)

Schumacher makes a Case that Does Not use the Tripod Bolt.
The Camera just slips into a slip fit Case, Cover shuts and you are ready.
There is no need to remove the Camera Strap but Straps suck for Camera Flying so I would remove it.

So Terry... where can it be purchased? How Much? and can it be mounted on top of an FTP? (I assume the last one is a yes... but figured I'd ask... ;)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Oops, well for future reference here are the actual part numbers for that piece. Its a bit complicated cause that part happens to have the serial number, compliance stamps etc. for that country. But I guess most people will want the US or the Europe (E) models - just check the symbols match up to what you have.

from this site - whole pdf is too big to upload here:
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/