coreyangel

Digital still cameras

I am wanting to start flying with a still camera and have been offered a good deal on a Nikon D40. Obviously since I am just starting out I want to keep my cost down but I also need something functionable. Has anyone used this model before? In looking for a bite switch all I see referenced are for cannon cameras, but I would think that the plug in any DSLR camera would be an industry standard.

Can anyone give me some input on this subject?
Learn from others' mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all yourself.
POPS 10672

Start with a video-only setup once you have at least 200 jumps. Make at least 100 video-only jumps before you add a still camera. Take the time between now and then to do some searching on here and research on cameras. You can quickly find out that the D40 is not jumpable since it doesn't have a remote shutter release port. The plugs aren't standard across DSLRs. They aren't even standard within manufacturers. Canon Digital Rebel cameras are probably the best suited for jumping because they're small, light, and switches are readily available.

Dave

hey,
I've got the camera back but I've only given a try 3x recently.
A new jack port has been put into it and a bite switch I connect to it. I use AF settings. The pictures gets blur at low light but at this stage I want a light and inexpensive SLR camera which I intend to use occasionally.
It's not perfect but with some mods the camera is jumpable. The mod cost was about 50/60 Euros.
regards
Janusz
Edit:
I don't jump often with SLR due to my neck injury.
I have also CX105 set up to mount on the top or side so I can jump with it having SLR on top.
Pictures are very reduced quality/resolution.
Back to Poland... back home.