ozzy13

camera helmet for work

I have a FF2 that im using now. I was wondering what everyone else likes/uses?

The FF2 can be a pain at times when you are doing 10 to 15 tandem video a day. Im looking to get another helmet just for tandems.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

What's a pain about the FF2?

Could just be how you have it set up.

I used to have an FF2 and found it quite easy going to do tandem video with.

I did however:
-have the DZUs 90 degree twist fastener to close the box.
-Make the cutout inside the helmet big enough to access the A/V port from inside.

This allowed me to always leave the camera (used PC105, PC9, PC330 and PC100 in it) mounted to the plate, just removing to change tapes.

hope that helps

-Make the cutout inside the helmet big enough to access the A/V port from inside.

I've added a short extension cable to the helmet, so I can just attach the A/V cable to the back of the helmet. Perfect for debriefing, but with my PC107, I can't get firewire from the camera without putting it in the docking station so it doesn't help any when I want to dump to a computer.

What's a pain about the FF2?

Could just be how you have it set up.

I used to have an FF2 and found it quite easy going to do tandem video with.

I did however:
-have the DZUs 90 degree twist fastener to close the box.

This allowed me to always leave the camera (used PC105, PC9, PC330 and PC100 in it) mounted to the plate, just removing to change tapes.

hope that helps

I normally do back to back loads then down a load and use that time to edit. The pain part is taking it in and out all the time. Don't get me wrong I love the FF2 it is just a little bit of a pain after 10 to 15 jumps. Plus I take camera out for the walk to the plane ,take off, shots out the window and interview in the plane. Its a little bulky installing the camera back in the helmet.

I'm trying to help you out, but you are not listening.

Do not take the camera off the helmet unless you absolutely have to, i.e. editing on PC and need to use docking station for firewire.

Learn to do your other shots with the camera on the helmet, it saves hassle, means you will not be that guy in the plane without his camera screw and keeps your camera lined up.

That's my tip based on 600+ tandem videos using an FF2. Keep the camera on for everything but tape changes.

Make sense?

I'm trying to help you out, but you are not listening.

Do not take the camera off the helmet unless you absolutely have to, i.e. editing on PC and need to use docking station for firewire.

Learn to do your other shots with the camera on the helmet, it saves hassle, means you will not be that guy in the plane without his camera screw and keeps your camera lined up.

That's my tip based on 600+ tandem videos using an FF2. Keep the camera on for everything but tape changes.

Make sense?

LOL I hear yea loud and clear. ;) I dont think sticking a helmet in someones face is very comfortable for them or me. Thank you for the help though..

I dont think sticking a helmet in someones face is very comfortable for them or me. Thank you for the help though..

I have never removed my video camera from my helmet in the plane in the course of 1000's of video jumps. If you're sticking the camera so close to their face that the presence of the helemet makes it uncomfortable, then your too close period. Use the zoom, it's your friend.

Which brings me to my next point, if you cannot reach the zoom, you need to meet your other friend, the dremel tool. Stock camera helemts leave alot to be desired. With each jumper using different cameras and doing different jobs, no stock helmet could ever fit the bill for everyone, they're just a starting point.

You've obviously come to the point that you're looking at your helmet like a professional. You have a specific job in mind, and you need a helmet that can do that job. Your best bet is to build it yourself, and there's no reason your current lid won't do. Take a long hard look at it, and figure out how to make it do what you want it to, without making it do things you don't. It will take some time, and some money, but that's how you get exactly what you want.

>I dont think sticking a helmet in someones face is very comfortable for them or me.

A few tips for that:

1) Keep the camera low. If it's at chest level it's not very intimidating.

2) Zoom in a bit.

3) Make sure your manual shutter release is accessible so you don't need to get "below" the top of the helmet to take stills.

Disconnecting and reconnecting cameras leads to rapid failure of the LANC/shiutter release port, and can lead to alignment and mount problems.

>I dont think sticking a helmet in someones face is very comfortable for them or me.

A few tips for that:

1) Keep the camera low. If it's at chest level it's not very intimidating.

2) Zoom in a bit.

3) Make sure your manual shutter release is accessible so you don't need to get "below" the top of the helmet to take stills.

Disconnecting and reconnecting cameras leads to rapid failure of the LANC/shiutter release port, and can lead to alignment and mount problems.

These are good tips. But I don't like relying on zoom for ground interviews though. First, zooming and holding a camera hand-held is not easy. But more importantly, if the camera is close to you and far from your student, the student's voice will be very low, and yours loud. I like holding the camera low as you mention, but having it equi-distance between us and engaging the customer with my eyes. That way they are having a conversation with another person, and not staring straight into a lens. (See attached photo)

P.S. Shooting tandems has greatly improved my hand-held shooting in general. And having the camera mounted to the helmet makes it easier for me to get a steady shot (more mass, two grips, tha ability to anchor it against your head or chest for a zoomed shot). I have had news crews use my hand-held landing shots rather than their cameraman's tripod or shoulder shot because mine was steady enough, and a tandem videographer obviously has more experience in tracking this shot.

I use the same method. One hand grips the chin cup so I can take pics with the mouth switch if I want to when shooting video at the same time.

I only ever took out the camera twice so far, both times to get take-off and in-flight shots because our new plane doesn't have windows yet and I couldn't sit by the door to film and this was the only way to film behind the pilot's head although it was a hassle for me and the T/M. Anything for the customer ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia