Jefe

New Sony HDR-CX500V

I think this is the camera I have been waiting for. Top of the line Exmor R sensor with 32 or 64 GB solid state. The main questions is how does this new "Optical Steady Shot w/ Active Mode" work? It appears to use both optical and electronic stabilization. Hopefully this will fix the shaking? Anyone know anything about this?......DSE?

I had about 30 minutes with a beta unit. That's about it. Obviously no skydive with it.
The processing unit is the same as the CX100, with a lot of bells n' whistles such as a bladed aperture (BMFin will like the bokeh for ground shooting).
But...
It's a gyro-balanced lens set. I'm not certain, but I'll stick my neck out and say that it can't be locked down.
To stop any confusion, you're going to see "60p output" in the marketing of this camera. It's 60p OUTPUT but it still records 60i. It's doing frame blending/interpolation in the output module, not in the record module. Rack focus is easy with this cam, which is a nice feature. Basically, it behaves more like a fixed-lense SLR, but it still is a gyro-based stabilizer.
Therefore, neither model will likely work for skydiving.
The GPS is cool though. ;)

Does this mean I have to be the guinea pig again?

Looks like some of the European countries have started selling a CX106E. Looks like the same as a CX105E but perhaps they just re-ran the old tooling with some minor firmware tweaks? Or, looks like they updated the software to make it easier to ship onto youtube. Manual is not online, product comparison is not available for it and price is not available... gee
HYPOXIC

This cam costs about $750 (USD) here in Sweden...
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

The CX106 has only one difference as far as I can see, and it's an increased Digital Zoom 150x instead of 120x

the CX505 in the UK is listed as £999.99
CX520 is £1249.99

I've seen a video clip (Can't find it just now) that shows a CX5xx and a CX100 mounted on a board next to each other and shaken, the new CX5xx looked to be alot steadier.

Maybe once they're on the market we'll be nicely surprised and find that they are suitable for jumping!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

Two days ago I got the CX505 (as the 500 & 520), for its high sensibility to use it underwater, and I must say Im really impress. The screen is amazing, the active steadyshot works nice when you move around, kind of an steady cam, and shooting in low light is unbelievable, almost no noise!. The 12 mpx stills are good, but of course, when shooting at the same time of video (in 8.3 mpx), take lots of time to empty the buffer. The slowmo is a tad better, but still far from smooth.The handling and feeling is much better than the CX100 because is bigger and heavier, controls are more responsive, has remote, and you can connect a microphone with an adaptor.
I jumped it yesterday, and is not as bad as the HC7, but there some shaky results when the helmet is in the burble, like in an stand up at high speed. Doesn't make much sense in spend twice as much to buy this one instead of the CX100/105 which is perfect for skydiving. Small & light, thats what we need...
This time I expect it, but with this one I complete the trilogy: TRV900 + HC7 + CX505 = shake...baby...shake!