tomfisk

ContourHD

I got my Contour Hd last week and was able to test it in the sky.

The pros is the easy to use Handling.

On the con side I see a quiet hard compression with artefacts noticable on equal coloured backgrounds (like clouds or our white aircraft).

What I sspecially disklike is that there are distorsions once in a while for a frame, meaning that my helmet goes from round to egg form for a frame and than back to normal, you can see this also on the Background. No Idea what is causing this strange effekt.

However, i bought this Camera for debriefing AFF and coaching Jumps and for this purpose its a nice tool and the quality more than enough.

Martin

Take care up there!

Looks to me like the camera suffers massively from what is called "rolling shutter". Might just be the web-encoded video, but there is a lot of jitter in the picture at every time.

That would be unfortunate, as I was looking at the Contour as a small secondary cam for unusual angles...
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Hi!
I just made my first jump with the Contour HD this weekend and the camera is perfect for skydiving. Light-weight (u dont even notice its there), laser pointers, rotatable lens, good quality on picture a.s.o. I does however lack image stabilisation.

The "rolling shutter" is mainly a problem when you have a semi-optimal attachment to the helment (lots of shaking=more rolling shutter). A friend and I compared shots and his was a whole lot more shaky than mine and I think it depends on how you have attached it. I have my camera side mounted with a neoprene (soft) bottom that prevents small shaking. He had his top mounted directly to helmet. to prevent rolling shutter u can try 60 FPS setting - I have not tried it yet...
U can find some video here: http://www.vholdr.com/user/10484 (unedited clips)

Changing frame rate won't affect rolling shutter. Changing shutter speed will, and the Contour doesn't allow for manually controlling shutter speeds.
*All* CMOS sensors will have rolling shutter at various speeds, but most don't have issues til around 1/250 or faster.

I suspect what you're seeing are either stabilizer issues or conversions from the interlaced sensor being processed to progressive. I haven't seen one up close and personal, but have seen footage.

Changing frame rate won't affect rolling shutter. Changing shutter speed will, and the Contour doesn't allow for manually controlling shutter speeds.
*All* CMOS sensors will have rolling shutter at various speeds, but most don't have issues til around 1/250 or faster.

I suspect what you're seeing are either stabilizer issues or conversions from the interlaced sensor being processed to progressive. I haven't seen one up close and personal, but have seen footage.

DSE, what do you think of the new ContourHD 1080 which is configurable?

here

Never tried one but from what I've seen the image quality is pretty similar to the gopro. Would be interesting to see a freefall comparison between the two though. I believe I've seen them mounted on the same helmet?

Discussions on this page so far has mainly been about the standard contour mounts, which obviously needs some modifications.

Also wondering if anyone tried to post-stabilize any freefall
video taken with these cams, using the imovie feature or similar?

The 37mm thread also allows for stuff like ND and polarizing filters, which from what I've read can improve the colours and reduce some of the artefacts this camera suffers from. Again it would be awesome if someone with first hand experience gave their opinion on it before I order one.

Anyone?

/Jonathan

I think that ring is for a lens filter not a wide angle lens. It doesn't appear to have enough strength and may not even focus correctly with an additional wide angle lens on it.

I just showed tons of footage with the gopro and the contour at the expo. I don't have footage from the same exact jump but will slap a gopro, contour and my cx150 on my helmet next weekend. Sounds like a good comparison video. Stay tuned.
HYPOXIC

I don't have footage from the same exact jump but will slap a gopro, contour and my cx150 on my helmet next weekend. Sounds like a good comparison video. Stay tuned.

i love this guy.
the diamond can not be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials.

I just showed tons of footage with the gopro and the contour at the expo. I don't have footage from the same exact jump but will slap a gopro, contour and my cx150 on my helmet next weekend. Sounds like a good comparison video. Stay tuned.

Very nice of you to do this, but may i suggest you post a new thread with those videos.
Make it a blind test, just name the videos 1, 2 and 3 and make a thread poll.
If its true what everyone here says, the Sony should easily win the "contest", and considering what people say in other threads GoPro HD should be second and CHD in last place.

As far as i know nobody has ever done a side by side comparison like this, so it will be intressting to see what camera everyone REALLY thinks is the best without knowing anything about the videos.
Give it a week or so before publsihing what camera is the owner of what video.

a few months ago I did a 1080p ContourHD vs GoPro HD week, both cameras mounted on my helmet skydiving, speed flying, speed riding, and paragliding. through sky and on snow, and darker conditions.

Go Pro wins most categories, due to considerably superior picture quality, available frame rates, and wide angle lens. still pictures are pretty nice also.

the categories won by the Contour were the sleek low profile look and lower snag potential and ease of use on the spot.

I very much prefer the GoPro, the contour burns out in the snow, allegedly this can be changed while hooked up to a computer. GoPro does it automatically.

-SPACE-