MattM

nylon screws on a ringsight - use them

Just wanted to share my story about my ringsight getting friendly with my toggle.

Shooting 8-way during one of our training weeks out at Raeford.... During my deployment I get glance of my right riser getting out in front of me, which I never see. Promptly, my head is pinned looking up at line twists and a yellow toggle wrapped around something on my helmet and hitting me in the face. After a few revolutions, which is speeding up rapidly since I'm jumping a velocity, I figure out my toggle is hooked to my ringsight. At this point the load is huge and I can't reach up to try and clear it and my next thought is to chop it since I have broken nylon screws on my ringsight easily before. I chop it, the canopy breaks free, and so does my ringsight but is dangling by my cameye which I had a small piece of tape holding it to the ring.

My helmet has a cutaway handle but I chose to possibly just lose my ringisght instead of my entire helmet. Had I not had a clue what was snagged, I would have went for the helmet cutaway for sure.

So please, use nylon screws. Look over everyones camera helmet and make sure they are using them too. If you see anyone with metal screws, do whatever it takes to make sure they don't jump that helmet. Make sure the ringsight is free standing, don't tape cameye lights to them. ALWAYS stow excess brake line.

Ok, enough preaching for me today. Be safe!

Matt

+1 to this, but I'd take it a step further.

My ring sight was attached using a nylon thread nut, yet I was unable to break it off when it got entangled. In fact, it held on well enough to take my helmet clean off my head and stay with the canopy the whole way down...

So, you're right that metal nuts are really freaking dangerous, but people shouldn't feel complacent just because they have a nylon nut...
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I'm guilty of NOT having nylon screws....and really should have them.

so....can you get them at home depot?

I've found replacements there. Another place you can find them is at a hobby store.

I actually caught my ring site on the way out of the plan chasing a 6 way a few weeks back and lost two of the three screws. I got the replacements for it at home depot.

BK

What about BH Flat Top Pro owners with Schumacher mounting post and swivel clamp? Any "plastic" ideas on that? Really. Is there any solution?

Remove the post and mount something like this to the upper surface possibly?

See attachment. This is the route that I'm going with my new helmet. Note that is not my helmet, I found that pic in the Mantle thread. It's part of the reason I bought the mantle and I bought that mount from Mike G. to put on it though.

That was my train of thoughts also, but I would like to see a picture of FTP with it and I would be sold. On this Mantle setup it seems as there are too many parts. How would it stand on FTP`s vertical forehead.
dudeist skydiver #42

That was my train of thoughts also, but I would like to see a picture of FTP with it and I would be sold. On this Mantle setup it seems as there are too many parts. How would it stand on FTP`s vertical forehead.

Seems like it might be able to work if you offset it just a bit and then used the swivel bracket to bring the actual sight in at like a 60 degree angle. Really don't know as I don't have a FTP. I'll look at one of the other guys FTP's this weekend though and see if what I was proposing makes any sense.

...but I would like to see a picture of FTP with it and I would be sold.... How would it stand on FTP`s vertical forehead.

Here a pic of my set-up with the Schumacher bracket and a HypEye mini tucked inside. It's not a FTP, but instead a Vapor which also has a vertical forehead. This set-up is very low profile, swivels out of the way if wanted, and has nylon screws. Plus, with the traditional mounting posts, I always had this image of that post being a skull puncturing device during a violent collision. That image alone makes me prefer the articulated bracket.

...but I would like to see a picture of FTP with it and I would be sold.... How would it stand on FTP`s vertical forehead.

Here a pic of my set-up with the Schumacher bracket and a HypEye mini tucked inside. It's not a FTP, but instead a Vapor which also has a vertical forehead. This set-up is very low profile, swivels out of the way if wanted, and has nylon screws. Plus, with the traditional mounting posts, I always had this image of that post being a skull puncturing device during a violent collision. That image alone makes me prefer the articulated bracket.

Perfect pictures. That's exactly what I was trying to illustrate with words above. :)

That's a nice clean setup there. And I like your flash mount. My only reservation would be the zip tie on the hypeye indicator.

Glad you came out safe Matt.
During the testing and and prototyping I did a jump with a Pilot Chute attached to nothing but the ringsight. I thought it might rip my head off but when I piched it out the ringsight went away with easy.
Hint: If you find your ringsight how to get the nylin bolts out: Heat a small screwdriver up with a heat source (Match, Candle, Stove top ect) push into the nylon screw and make a new screwdriver slot, let cool and use the same now cool screwdriver to remove!

Scarey situation dude. I have a few questions. Did the toogle itself get caught in/on the rigsight or was it caught on the swivel/mount hardware? Or was it the steering line. Where was the actual snag point? Any photos of your helmet? A lot luck was with you. Hope you had a bithday party that evening!:o:)

+1 to this, but I'd take it a step further.

My ring sight was attached using a nylon thread nut, yet I was unable to break it off when it got entangled

Nylon NUT or nylon BOLT? Big difference. I would think a nylon nut with a metal bolt wouldn't help at all.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I have to ask, did you build that little wood stand just for your helmet? Stained and varnished and all? :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I have to ask, did you build that little wood stand just for your helmet? Stained and varnished and all?

Well I did have the leftover wood lying around (notice the bottom is a single wide piece of oak), and it does make working on the helmet easier, and it was off-season anyway...

Nylon NUT or nylon BOLT? Big difference. I would think a nylon nut with a metal bolt wouldn't help at all.

Yeah, sorry, that was sloppy of me - nylon nut with nylon bolt is what I meant.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork