bigbearfng

sony hc42 vs hc62 vs hc96 video quality?

I've been using a Sony dcr-hc42 for FF and WS personal videos. The Sony HC-42 was fine for that.
I just started trying video for fun jump RW groups for their own reviews. This is a fun new task in the air!
But I have been noticing quite a difference in my video quality vs others posted.
I'm still not ready to make a big investment in a camcorder but would like to get higher quality video.
I've been looking at upgrading to the HC62 but it looks like the lenses are bout the same as the HC42, and it isn't until you get to the HC96 that there is a significant difference in the lenses.
But I'd really like to know if ya'll have seen any real world differences in video quality between any of these cams?
Thanks for any and all info!

But I have been noticing quite a difference in my video quality vs others posted.

Different how? Is it perhaps blurry? I use an HC40 without any problem. One thing you may need to be wary of is making sure that it's on manual focus. It will default back to auto focus at times - I think it generally happens whenever I remove or replace the battery. Change it to manual focus and get it set up to the right focus on the ground. Make sure that you have the wide angle that you're going to use on the jump, too. Some wide angle lenses may affect the focal length enough to warrant resetting the manual focus.

Yup, it's on manual focus, set with the wide angle on it. And yea sometimes after battery change it defaults back so I've got in the habit of double checking the focus along with making sure the manual zoom didn't get bumped on.
The difference I'm seeing is in resolution-especially noticable when played back full screen.
Just wondering if the HC62/96s would make a diff or is an HD cam the only way to increase video quality/resolution seen?

What cameras are you comparing yours to?

What wide angle lens are you using and what wide angle lens are the other cameras using? Not all lenses are created equal. If you do a search, you can find some discussion of the relative clarity of images produced through different wide angle lenses. From memory, I think the Royal lenses tend to be among the best single element lenses, however, all of the single element lenses are operating at or near their limit on a DV camera.

Going to try to be more tech savvy now....at least try!
Difference between 3.3 megapixel CCD Imager 1/3 advanced HAD with 2048 pixels/ but then says
530 Horizntal resolution
vs
1.0 megapixel CCD Imager 1/6 HAD with 690 pixels with
520 lines horizontal resolution.
So if there is only a difference of 10 horizontal lines of resolution would there really be much difference in video qaulity?
Reprogramming the prom in my vette makes sense to me, but these specs don't!:S

you will not see much from the 42 to the 62 but the 96 has the 3cmos sensor and u will see a difference,,, though for the size and price i would go to the cx-100 now or the hc-5 if u want to go tape... the 96 is outdated and still holds some value but for a little more money u can get the cx-100
dont let life pass you by