Cyrus79

Royal .2, Optica .3 and Raynox .3 CX-100 Lens comparison

My Optica has just arrived! Although I realize this isn't the best way to compare them, here's a "quick" comparison of photos taken from the same position with these three lenses...I'm surprised at how close the Royal and the Optica are width wise.
These were taken with my CX-100

A comparison between the Raynox .3 and the Century .5 would be interesting. I would bet the .5 is wider.

How do you have the Raynox setup? Do you have the 30-37mm step-up ring and then the 37mm-37mm adapter ring or just the 30-37mm? Seems really narrow to me.

-Trunk
HYPOXIC

Thanks for posting these. I will be able to make a more informed decision now.

This confirms that my choice of the Raynox 3032 was a good choice for working jumps.

As for something wider for inside video, I think the Opteka is quite a bit sharper around the edges than the Royal. Thankfully, it would be less annoying when the distortion is over clouds or blue sky. I don't think I could stand it for ground footage.

What do you like best?
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

I like the Raynox best as far as quality...that said, the Optica is my choice lens for inside freefly jumps. It is, like you said, sharper than the Royal 0.2, and the price is right.

>> "How do you have the Raynox setup? Do you have the 30-37mm step-up ring and then the 37mm-37mm adapter ring or just the 30-37mm?" <<

I have the Raynox setup using only the 30mm to 37mm.

Here's a couple frame grabs from each lens in the air...

I have a Raynox 3032 and it takes some amazing quality footage - but I need something wider still. I guess the Optica (0.3) might be the go.

Any other suggestions?
Or the best place to order one?

Cheers!
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

I got mine from here.
But since their overseas shipping rates are ridiculous, I got it sent to a friends US address and he brought it over.
I like the wide angle of the lens, but its bloody heavy...

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

Opteka Platinum Series 37mm 0.3X HD Ultra Fisheye Lens

VS

Century Optics .3x Ultra Fisheye Adapter for Digital Video Cameras with 37mm Lens Front Diameter

Trying to find a comparison between these two lenses? Is the century really 3 times better, like the price indicates?
Talking results on a modern hd tv screen.

Probably not a good idea to side mount it. If you did, plan on loosing it and breaking your video camera threads in the process. Unless of course the box covers the lens too.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I have both Raynox HD3030 and Royal .3 and .5. While for quality HD footage nothing really compares to the Raynox HD, I by far prefer Royal lens for it's size and weight on every day jumps. Since the quality of the Optica is only marginally better in the corners, i think i will stay with the low profile Royal, but it would still be interesting to see a pic of the Optica mounted to the CX100 for the lens dimensions relative to the camera. Thanks

i like the look of the Optica .3... is it as wide as the royal .2? i'm using a Liquid 3 x 0.29 Wide angle lens... i would like to have a lens that is a little wider than the liquid 3... And i'm getting Vignetting if i shoot in 16:9... does the royal or the Optica Vegnette in 16:9?

The Optica 0.3 is "almost" as wide as the Royal 0.2, but not quite...

I have no vignetting (black corners) whatsoever using these lens's with my CX-100, however, this can vary from camera to camera or thread size differences...

I love the Optica...I use it for freefly jumps, even tandem video jumps...just need to zoom in 3 notches and good to go.

IMO, it's a must have lens if shooting HD.

When I was researching this I read from a couple of sources that I can't remember now that the adapter ring makes the view a little wider. I can't attest to this personally because I have not tried to use a ring just as a spacer to see what changed. Maybe someone else knows more firsthand.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."