the_eejit

Advice on Camera to buy?

I'm a poor student and I'm looking at getting into a bit of camera work to offset the cost of skydiving! I don't have much cash to start this endeavor so I was thinking of getting a second hand video camera to get me started.
Can anyone give pro's/con's towards the pc1-9 range versus the pc101/9? I've seen these for sale on ebay and I think I could afford one. Are there significant differences between the models or is it a case of just buying the hightest numbered one I can afford?

For the price of a used PC camera you can probably find a brand new HC style camera, standard definition of course...

Go with new...

And as far as making money with your camera.. you will have to make a whole bunch of camera jumps before people are going to be willing to pay you for your services.. make sure you are able to consistently get them a quality product.. which is going to cost you quite a few jumps first..

Any of the PC style cameras (1-9 or 101+) will work. You should be able to find one used for ~$100 or so.

As a student, I would recommend packing to pay the bills. Packing is how I paid for my first degree. There is generally more money to be made on the mat, especially if you become efficient. Camera flying is expensive, and while you can make money, it takes a while to get there, as vdschool said.

As a student, I would recommend packing to pay the bills. Packing is how I paid for my first degree. There is generally more money to be made on the mat, especially if you become efficient.

Yeah its a LOT easier to walk away with 500 bucks a weekend from packing than it is from flying camera, depending on where you are of course.
But to make a lot of money flying camera, you need to spend a lot (you'll need two rigs, and at least a still camera to even think about that kind of money)

Make that 2 rigs, a packer, 1 or 2 GOOD camerahelmets, 2 camera suits, 2 stills and 2 videocameras and a whole lot of backup batteries, switches, memory cards, lenses and other misc expensive stuff. Not to mention the whole setup you need for editing and burning.

My camera flying pays for my camera stuff and my rigs, basically. Because stuff wears out quick, you need backup stuff and because you just want newer/faster/neater stuff (well I do LOL).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

My camera flying pays for my camera stuff and my rigs, basically. Because stuff wears out quick, you need backup stuff and because you just want newer/faster/neater stuff (well I do LOL).

actually my camera flying is currently paying for my fun jumps... but I've found that I spend the money I would be spending on jumping on other things like more camera stuff... :D:D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

As a jumper that worked as a packer and videographer through college, I've got to refute the idea that you need a new full camera setup, two rigs, multiple suits, and your own packer...

I would suggest working as a packer, buying a used camera helmet with a used standard def video camera, and (assuming you have enough experience to fly video), start developing your camera flyer skills. Before you know it, you'll be able to get you slot covered by fun jumpers who want video. After you're competent with that, you can pony up for a still camera and maybe a new helmet to hold everything and start getting paid for your work.

B
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

I would suggest working as a packer, buying a used camera helmet with a used standard def video camera, and (assuming you have enough experience to fly video), start developing your camera flyer skills. Before you know it, you'll be able to get you slot covered by fun jumpers who want video. After you're competent with that, you can pony up for a still camera and maybe a new helmet to hold everything and start getting paid for your work.

I did that. ;)
dudeist skydiver #42

im only gona hit on one thingn in here that others didnt cover....they all basically talked about..experience flying, now i dont know you, but you may feel that your a shit hot flyer...but throw on some camera wing....your flying has now totally changed. Hence why everyone is saying that you cant just go buy a camera and jump into maoney making slots...I paid my own camera slots for about 200 jumps or so....then when i screwed up on a paying customer....The school had to refund their money for the video and I offered and usally did pay the school back for my slot.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas