jont

Broken plug on CamEye II

Hi All

The end of the plug has broken off on my CamEye II. Fortunately it didn't break off in the LANC socket, so the camera is OK, but I have a dead CamEye if I can't fix it. It looks like a pretty standard 3-pole (i.e. stereo) 2.5mm plug, so easy to buy one. Then I just need to cut the broken one off, and solder on the new one. But does anyone know how to wire it up - the broken one is a solid plug, so would need some surgery to detect which wire goes to which bit. Can anyone give me a heads up on this?

Thanks

Jon T

I've had to replace a plug in the past. It is a standard 2.5mm plug. A friend of mine who had a circuit tester had no problems working out what went where. The cameye has since conked out. If you don't get a definitive answer before I go to the DZ, I'll open it up and get back to you with some more info. However it is easily doable.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

On my cameye there are 3 wires, brown, red and black. The replacement plug has 3 places to solder on these wires.
The red wire goes to the 'center' post which to me looks like it goes to the tip of the plug.
The brown wire goes to the 'post' right of the red wire, and looks like it connects to the middle section of the plug. The black wire goes to the post to the rear and connects to the top of the plug - if that makes sense.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Latest update. SkyTools, bless 'em, are sending me a replacement plug and wire free of charge. Good ol' customer service. Hopefully the new wires will have the same colours as the old ones, and I can just match them up.

I'll let you know how it goes

jon t

Well, they actually sent me two plugs, in case I screwed up the first attempt! All I had to do was join up the three coloured wires, and now I have a Cameye that is happily winking blue and red again.

Thanks once more Skytools.

jon t