freefalle

Canon 50d

I'll be picking up a 50d in a couple of weeks is anyone using this camera? What do you think? I'll be using it for skydiving obviously but I'll also be using it for some commercial work (weddings and portrait) work. What bite switch works with this camera anyone know? Thanks guys

I'll be picking up a 50d in a couple of weeks is anyone using this camera? What do you think? I'll be using it for skydiving obviously but I'll also be using it for some commercial work (weddings and portrait) work. What bite switch works with this camera anyone know? Thanks guys

I know of at least one dz.commer that uses it... (pilotdave) and I am capable for making it work with my camera helmet as well... I constructed a makeshift adapter with a female 2.5mm plug on one end and a male N3 plug for the 50D on the other end...

and I think Lazlo makes a bite switch specifically for it...

The 50D is a little bit heavier then the Rebel Series but it can certainly be used for skydiving...

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I use the 50D and love it. There are some big way shots that a full sensor would totally have worked better, but for the most part think the 50D and a nice lens is perfect. I use the Canon 15mm 2.8 for most jumping and have a 17-55mm that I use to ground footage.

Pretty much everything for the past 6 months on my facebook albums are from this camera:
Trunk's Facebook
HYPOXIC

For a remote shutter, looks like this adapter will work well to: Canon 3-pin Adapter to 3.5mm adapter and then buy a standard 3.5mm bite switch.

I've been salvaging the connector from a remote shutter, but the above seems to be a lot cheaper solution. Plus when the bite switch dies, just buy a another cheaper 3.5mm bite switch instead of another canon style.

Lately, I've been wiring up the focus lead to a DPDT switch so that it continuously focuses in one position and then only focus's upon the bite in the other. Pretty cool trick for those fast lenses. I can probably draw up something if anyone is interested. And yes your battery drains faster with the continuous focus but you can go all day if you just flick the switch as part of your after opening sequence.

-Trunk
HYPOXIC

Lately, I've been wiring up the focus lead to a DPDT switch

Cool, What exactly is a DPDT switch ?

so that it continuously focuses in one position and then only focus's upon the bite in the other.

Im sorry, I didnt quite understand this. You say it focuses in one position but after that it focuses on something else by the bite ?

BTW. check this thread in case you havent seen it

Wish I knew about that adapter. Just spent $165 or something on 2 tongue switches. And my camera helmet is sporting dual switches so I can switch back and forth with my XTi.

I like the 50D, but it's advantages are most apparent on the ground, not in the air. But anyway here are a few shots I couldn't have taken with my XTi... at least not with the exact same settings.

1/8000th shutter speed (bumped the mode dial to Av at f/3.5 by accident and had it at ISO 800 by accident. Oops.)

Flash sync speed of 1/250th.

ISO 3200.

But in general, don't expect any miracles compared to the Rebel series. 6.3 frames per second is nice, but I sure take a lot of similar pictures! :)
Oh, and compared to the Rebels, the mode dial seems to be really easy to bump in a 182. I've never had that problem with the XTi, but I've switched modes while climbing out a few times now with the 50D. Might need to gaffers tape it... or be more careful.

Dave

so I picked up my d50 yesterday, I got the stock lens with it becuase for a kit lens its really not that bad of a deal and the test shots I took with it were pretty impressive.
I also ordered a 580ex flash a sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 and a sigma fixed 28mm 2.8 lenses.

Im going to order the 70-200 2.8L series lens in august when I save up some more money.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the camera, I need to get with lazlo to find out about the adapter so I can jump with it.