virgin-burner

how's that for a video-setup!?

i got a mindwarp some time ago, bought a sony dcr-pc101 off of ebay for less than 200$ practically new and unused, now i'm thinking www.x-shut.com, the titanium-version, plus boneheads chin-cup and cutaway system.. i want to have it sidemounted.

all i need now is a wide-angle lens, anybody has got some recommendations? it'll be used mostly for freeflying and some wingsuiting..

anybody has points or hints about stuff i might have not thought about?

i dont put much emphasis on video at this point, i just think it would be nice to have some footage, so best value for money, i'm also not rich, is key!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I think its because you're being a lazy ass (as usual;))

As all the questions you ask here (what wide-angle, what setup) have a topic of their own with sometimes into the hundreds of replies.

But Xshut..yea..why not, wide-angle, just go for one of the flat (single element) 0.5/0.6 lenses from waycool etc.

Plenty of those being offered 2nd hand now, with everyone shifting to HD lenses.

0.3 (unless inside video, and 100% close flying is your thing) will probably be too wide, and mostly give you video with small specs in the distance.

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

do you have a suggestion on how to do it!?

Each helmet is different, but here are a couple of examples of how I blocked off a similar snag hazard on a side mount. The first photo is a large, thick nylon washer that I shaped on a bench grinder to fit the contour of the box. Then I ran a bolt through the box, washer, and helmet. The second I just filled in a smaller gap with hot-melt glue. Not pretty, but fairly effective. You would have to give up the fancy quick release, but I would think making the set-up safer takes priority over convenience. Particularly at your jump numbers.

the thing is, its got a neprene glove, cant put much screws in there i suppose. now, just stuffing said glove on the lower side might work..

oh, you probably dont have a clue how fancy the quick release really was.. 600$, anyone!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

oh, and just for the record, this post has been up since middle of may; kind of late advice on "how to do it better".. :S

You've been around way too long to:

1- expect people to hold your hand while you build a helmet.

2- give you timely advise

3- think that people won't pick apart your attempt at building a helmet when it comes to safety.

Fix those gaps before you start jumping that thing.
The first jump on it may be the one that snags.
Don't go risking you life just because you cant wait any longer. There are thousands of replies in this forum that you could have used to built a safve helmet.

Good luck filming but PLEASE make sure you fill those gaps.
My photos

My Videos

oh, you probably dont have a clue how fancy the quick release really was.. 600$, anyone!?

$600? The x-shut website lists the titanium version as 188 euro.

I'm also curious as to why the titanium version? According to their published breaking limit data, even the aluminium version looks plenty strong enough for a camera mount and about half the price. The strain limit is equivalent to a suspended weight of over 700kg and the lever out force required is equivalent to a suspended weight of over 400kg. There's no data for the titanium version, but I expect that it's stronger than the aluminium version and similar strength to the stainless steel version. I realize that you already have it, now, but I'm curious as to what led you to choose the most expensive material available.

Titanium sounds much cooler than aluminum or stainless.

And yes, Titanium has similar strengths to stainless, and similar densities (weights) to aluminum, the best of both world, but more important in aerospace use, not quick releases.