bdrake529

Wider than Raynox 0.3x for HC5?

Ok, I did search, but couldn't find exactly the answer I'm looking for.

I have a Sony HC5 and I'm using the Raynox 0.3x HD wide angle converter.

This setup works for just about everything I need except for when I mount the camera on a RAM mount off the back of my helmet facing backwards. Then the view is not wide enough.

What's a wider lens available for the HC5 that's also HD? It seems that anything wider than 0.3x is SD. How much resolution do you lose by going to an SD lens?

Are there other 0.3x HD lenses that are wider than the Raynox? I looked at Spot's lens comparison test but I couldn't see an immediate answer in that chart (untrained eyes on my part).

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Brian Drake

HC5 is a 37mm thread and the Ranox which I also use is a zoom through. YOu might look at the single element lenses as they are more low profile:

http://www.cookiecomposites.com/shop/Accessories/46/index.htm

Have to go Manual and setis before jumping it but might give a wide field of view

Scott C
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

HC5 is a 37mm thread and the Ranox which I also use is a zoom through. YOu might look at the single element lenses as they are more low profile:

http://www.cookiecomposites.com/shop/Accessories/46/index.htm

Have to go Manual and setis before jumping it but might give a wide field of view

Scott C

Will show vignetting and quality loss
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!

I don't know how it will do on your camera but Royal makes a .2 lens.

They claim:
Our Newest Product
Low Profile 0.2x Fish-Eye Lens
Ultra High Quality, Ultra WIDE!
180-degree field of view *
Super Low Profile (12mm in length, 44mm in diameter)
Dual Element, Resilient Glass Construction
Durable Anodized Aluminum Casing
Low Distortion Fish-Eye Lens
Absolutely NO Vignette ('black corners')**
Three standard Thread Sizes: 25mm, 30mm and :)
* Field of view may vary according to your camcorder's specifications
**No Vignette not using a step-up ring. For Platinum 0.2x, no vignette in 4:3 mode

but check it out yourself http://www.royallens.com/product_description.php

Whatever you end up getting please let us know how it works out. I also have a HC5 but I am using a cheapo .5 since I just started jumping video. I am interested in what other HC5 users are successful at using.

Good luck!

"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

This one will definitely vignette on a HD cam (and who the *** is going to shoot 4:3 on a HD cam anyway), would be quite bad quality to watch (especially on a computer that's way worse than on a TV, vignetting-wise). It's even low quality already on a 4:3 SD cam, but since it's the only lens that's so wide that was worth it. But on a CX105, ouch :S

Also ouch at a cheapo .5 with a HC5, why didn't you get a cheapo cam then if you're only gonna degrade it anyway B|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The only people that will shoot 4:3 are any videographer during competitions until we push for 16:9 aspect ratio for the judges. I know a VFS team that would like to shoot .2x so they can be ultra close and ultra fast switching positions. I believe some freefly teams that train with a .3 then switch to a .2 a few weeks before nationals for some just in case room.

Summary: Only for teams competing and with the current judging equipment, SD lenses are just fine. Of course this is the only case.
HYPOXIC

The only people that will shoot 4:3 are any videographer during competitions

Why is that? All our competitions (including last year's World Championships CF) accept both 4:3 and 16:9, and have for the last few years. In fact I know our latest freefly team shoots SD 16:9 instead of the for his camera native 4:3. But most freeflyers use sidemounted PC series cameras, at least over here, so not as much HD cameras as in FS4 and CRW, yet. And for CRW competitions (CF2), no wide angle at all seems to be the thing now. But lots of HC5s here now, usually combined with the raynox .3. I really only see the ultra wide lenses used for AFF, where the quality isn't important at all. No VFS teams here at all, AFAIK. Would be nice though to have something wider than the raynox .3 with at least the same quality and about at the same pricepoint ...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

They accept both formats, but you're loosing a lot of screen real estate when they play it back on a 4:3 monitor. It just was not to your advantage during US Nationals to shoot in 16:9. Maybe over here they will eventually make the change. I think the IPC and USPA competition committee is going to have to figure out when to make the cut.

I got some word that they are using a new system this year for nationals but don't know the exact details. Looks like OmniSkore is out.
HYPOXIC

I also just got a century baby death .3 . On my cx 12 it in very noticeably wider than my raynox .3

Video quality on the century is HD

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

dragon, I actually got a very good price on my HC5, I could not pass it up. I only have 12 jumps with a camera and I am only doing it for fun at this point. Once I get decent and get more serious I will get a Raynox or a Royal, until then I dont feel the need to pay top dollar for a lens that I very well may screw up or even lose.

edit: but even with my cheapo lens the footage I have looks awesome. Even on my pc at 1680 x 1050 full screen it looks quite sharp. Much better than any SD footage I have seen.
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

>>The only people that will shoot 4:3 are any videographer during competitions . . .

>Why is that?

Because some judges ask for it. The last SSL they asked for 4:3. It's all what you're used to I guess.

I find it easier to shoot 8-way with 4:3 because getting the "long axis" right isn't as critical.