RMK

Viewer/Player software for .mts files

Does anyone have any suggestions for Viewer/Player software for .mts files (AVCHD)? Of course you can view the files if you open them in editing software like Sony VegasPro, but I’m still looking for a basic viewer that can open them from the file explorer.

Searching around I see a few possibilities, but am not a fan of downloading freeware from companies I’ve never heard of without any prior recommendation.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Thanks. That was the first place I looked, but unfortunately though it lists a page of files it can view, there’s no mention of it reading .mts files.

I haven't encountered that extension yet, but if you install the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (very easily searchable on Google), you will be able to play every video file known to man with regular old Windows Media Player. I get a kick out of playing Quicktime videos in WMV.

Also, VLC is good, as mentioned previously.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I have the latest version of vlc fully updated on a 2.7 gig pc with 6 g of ram.

Is it a 2.7 dual core? if not, that could be your problem...the minimum you need to play HD video (well) is a dual core.

My quite expensive fairly new laptop fails to play HD HQ video from the CX105 without stuttering. [:/][:/][:/][:/][:/][:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I noticed improvements while playing AVCHD with latest update of Sony Picture Motion Browser version 4.2.10

It is also stated in release note for it:

Support for DXVA 2.0
DXVA (DirectX Video Accelerator) 2.0 considerably enhances the playback performance of AVCHD contents.

Is it a 2.7 dual core? if not, that could be your problem...the minimum you need to play HD video (well) is a dual core.

My quite expensive fairly new laptop fails to play HD HQ video from the CX105 without stuttering. [:/][:/][:/][:/][:/][:/]

There is some loopback filtering in VLC going on that you can disable and it will clean playback up.

see this thread: http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42328
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

the PC is a 64bit system with 64 bit OS. It has the new i7 processor. I am having a hell of a time working with this cameras. I tried doing the thing on the vlc forum. I couldn't get past step 2 or 3?

Anybody know the best format to render to. non of the edited video wants to play properly either. VLC looks terrible and Windows media plays it "ok" but the audio is out of sync? I just need reasonably good video to burn tandem videos. Doesn't have to come out in Hi Def.

I would imagine just recording in standard definition would be the answer to this but I am now stuck with about 20 vids that need to be edited and burned to dvd.
www.okanaganskydive.com

Not sure exactly what you're trying to do/how you're doing it. You can't burn HD to a DVD that'll need to be played in a non Bluray player, you want SD.

I use Premiere pro cs4 with a core i7 6gb pc, takes 14 minutes to render a 7-8 minute tandemvideo shot in HD HQ edited in a SD timeline (because my templates are SD and I was helping out another skydiver, making HD templates would probably speed the rendering up as you don't need to re-size every clip). Send to Encore, burn to DVD, voila good video.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

the PC is a 64bit system with 64 bit OS. It has the new i7 processor. I am having a hell of a time working with this cameras. I tried doing the thing on the vlc forum. I couldn't get past step 2 or 3?

Anybody know the best format to render to. non of the edited video wants to play properly either. VLC looks terrible and Windows media plays it "ok" but the audio is out of sync? I just need reasonably good video to burn tandem videos. Doesn't have to come out in Hi Def.

I would imagine just recording in standard definition would be the answer to this but I am now stuck with about 20 vids that need to be edited and burned to dvd.

Follow the steps one by one, it should work just fine. (I just tried it)

Anyways - what program are you editing with? Both Vegas and premiere have default output settings when you go to "Render" the media. They have defaults for DVD NTSC (assuming you are in America here, substitute pal where appropriate)

I am doing the exact same thing you are. 64bit pc and 64bit OS works just fine. The new processor is fine. It's just a user training thing. If you are trying to play the video in the video editor, it might be choppy, just render it out to dvd format and watch that. You should be rendering from HD to SD mpg in about 15minutes for a 10minute tandem video.

You will have to be more specific about what you are doing in what programs for me to help you more than that.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Could somebody please host a full quality sample of CX100/105 footage for download? I've seen two reports here of a new i7 system being unable to view it smoothly and I find that very hard to believe. I can give you a login/pass to the FTP for my website if you have nowhere to host a large file.

On my old Core 2 Duo (2 cores @ 2.13GHz) system I could process HDV fine (yes I know AVCHD is more intensive), and I converted all of my MPEG-2 HDV to MPEG-4 and compressed it very highly for the results you see here:

http://www.matthoover.com/gallery/skydiving-videos/Puerto_Rico_2009-HD.html
Streaming 720p MPEG-4, 2.5Mbps - This is a very high compression ratio (about 10:1 since MPEG-4 uncompressed can be up to 25Mbps) and as such requires much more processing power than uncompressed raw MPEG-4. I could view it no problem on my old Core 2 Duo and even viewed it on slightly lesser machines with no chop.

I currently have an i7 (4 cores, overclocked @ 3.80GHz) and would like to test out one of these CX AVCHD samples (I'm still rocking my HC5 and HDV footage since it still works fine). I will also try at i7 stock speed of 2.67GHz.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I didn’t realise this thread was still going. Yes, I got VLC to open and view .mts, but it is quite poor (I get “combing” repeatedly in the video). Re computer specs, I'm running this on what would be a Geek’s dream computer, with fast chip, high-end graphics card and multiple 10,000 rpm disks in a RAID array.

Quite disappointing, to still have to open VegasPro8 just to see what the files are.

Might turn out to be an unpopular idea, but when I transfer footage I make a folder for the individual dates and put the respective footage in each folder. I have also started including a text file with a brief description of what the clip is. By using a basic text file it opens quickly and easily. Just a thought.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

I didn’t realise this thread was still going. Yes, I got VLC to open and view .mts, but it is quite poor (I get “combing” repeatedly in the video). Re computer specs, I'm running this on what would be a Geek’s dream computer, with fast chip, high-end graphics card and multiple 10,000 rpm disks in a RAID array.

Quite disappointing, to still have to open VegasPro8 just to see what the files are.

Have you (and the others reporting problems with VLC viewing) tried the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

This is my computer:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer CLEVO CO.
System Model M860TU
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P9500 @ 2.53GHz, 2534 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD 1.00.07S LS2, 9/16/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.29 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.17 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.95 GB
Page File Space 4.29 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I can run video with VLC 1.0.0-rc1 with the deinterlace filter on set to "discard" and the loopback setting referenced in the above link set to bypass loopback for all non-keyframes.

I have tons of footage if someone wants to see some of it, let me know where i can put it.
~D

Saskia uploaded some footage from a CX105 to my FTP. 1920x1080, 16Mbps, 25fps, AVC High. It's a .MTS file.

Viewed it in Windows Media Player no problem. It uses about 10% of my CPU (i7 @ 3.80GHz) to do so. Basically not even one full core. Takes less than a second to scan from one part of the video from another. Same performance on my OCZ SSD or on a standard 7200rpm HDD. Clocked my CPU back down to stock for the 920 (2.67GHz) and it now utilizes 15% CPU to view the file but still plays fine.

So then just for kicks I dropped my CPU clock to 1.6GHz, and disabled HT to remove the 4 virtual cores. Video runs smooth, takes about 30% CPU.

Then for a real laugh I disabled all but one core still @ 1.6GHz. At this point it took about 20% CPU just to run my OS, and 100% for the video, which started to finally get a little bit choppy.

Then I tried the video on my fiancee's laptop which has a Core 2 Duo @ 1.83GHz. Video ran fine and took about 50% CPU.

Then, since I have always been a bit curious myself how clock speeds translated between Core2 and i7, I put my i7 CPU to 1.83GHz, allowed two active cores, and the results were about the same, 50% CPU to view the video.

So the bottom line here is that even on the slowest dual core processors you should be able to view this in Windows Media Player. Have you installed the latest version of K-Lite Mega Codec Pack? It is easily found through google... there are several variants but I prefer Mega. And they now have a 64-bit pack that gives better performance for 64-bit CPU/OS, but you still need to install the standard one first. Seriously, K-Lite is incredible... it allows you to use WMP to even view Quicktime files!

I tried viewing Saskia's file in VLC and honestly it didn't work that great, it played fine from start but whenever I tried to seek it would get wonky sometimes. I don't really use VLC anymore since I found K-Lite, I am sure there is a config option or something to make it work right, but I prefer WMP with K-Lite.

Hope this helped!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com