MacTim

Do i need IS in a Canon Rebel XS/1000D??

Hello,

I am going to buy my first still camera and I am planing to buy the Canon Rebel XS/1000D. I have also looked at the Canon G10 but I think it is to slow...

The leans that comes with the XS/1000D camera (18-55) dose not have IS (at least in sweden). Is the lack IS bad for freefall photography or should i get a leans with IS?? I will use it shoot tandems and some other random jumps.

Another option is to buy the camera house and the 18-55 IS separately, that would still be sheap enough for me.

I know that there are much better lenses quality wise but i cant afford that right now.....

//Tim

I personally don't think IS is something you NEED. IS is great in low light conditions. However, I don't think its necessary for "everyday" skydiving where you have a good source of light. I'm sure some of the other guys will comment here as well but thats where I'm at with it..

Chuck

No you don't need or even want IS for skydiving. For ground stuff it can come in handy but the value of IS in a wide angle lens is much less than that in a tele lens so you're not missing out on much there.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

IS wouldn't work correctly because it requires some time to stabilize. You need to hold the shutter release half way down for a couple seconds for the IS to work. You can't do that if you're using any of the common tongue/bite/blow switches. If you take a picture too quickly before the IS has time to stabilize, it might actually make the picture more blurry, or at best do nothing.

IS is nice on the ground, but i don't think it's necessary at those focal lengths. It really comes in handy at 300mm though!

Dave

True, but even at high shutter speeds it's really nice just for aiming the camera and getting good focus. I use it at 1/500th+ all the time for landing pictures, etc. It's really hard to follow the jump plane on jumprun at 300mm without IS (for me). With IS, it's easy... the plane just sort of stops in the viewfinder instead of bouncing all around. Body mounted IS, instead of lens mounted IS, doesn't get to take advantage of this and is only useful for lower shutter speeds.

Dave