teknik

Canon 10-22mm or Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 ?

Hello all photographers,

I've been fiddling around with the Canon XSI kit lens (18-55 IS) for a while now and it's time for me to invest in a ultra-wide angle lens.

I was initially planning on getting a Canon 10-22 which has been praised for its on and off the ground qualities.

By doing a little research i came across this fairly recent lens: the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8. :o

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm

Even though the range isn't as good as the Canon, the aperture is definitely way better all across. the extra stops could really help on evening loads and for indoor photography.

Has anyone tested this lens for skydiving? Impressions? Pictures?

Thanks for the help ;)

granted I'm biased... since I have the Canon 10-22... but for the few times I might need/want a 2.8 aperture (sunset loads... etc) I would rather jump with a flash...

The 10-22 is an outstanding piece of glass and I think is much better then the kit lens (which isn't bad either)

Below is a shot with the Canon 10-22...

http://www.scottgunstills.com/photos/516816774_GKsCo-L.jpg
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

This is a tough one. These are the best two wide angles for a cropped sensor IMO. I think you just need to google and read some reviews and make a decision.

Remember though that 10mm is noticably wider than 11mm and the canon has a zoom range of 12mm and the tokina only has 5mm

Its a tough decision, but on the other hand which ever you choose you cant go wrong..

I've never actually used a deported flash so i don't have much knowledge on that (on the ground as well).

May i ask what flash you are using. Do you use the same flash for indoor shots as well ?

I haven't done much shooting in freefall with a flash... (I do have a prototype setup for my 580 EX)

The principles of photography themselves don't change just because I'm in freefall so in general I will use the same flash I would use on the ground and would use it in the same manner... as all things to get it right takes practice and experience...

Something that I have on the ground but not nearly as much in the air...

btw: the picture I posted was taken in the mid afternoon and a flash wasn't used... (I was merely showing what the 10-22 was capable of doing.)

the Tokina is awesome! very sharp throughout the range

don't get hung up on the zoom range because at the wide end of the spectrum zoom is much more distinct

the only downside is the size
I would recommend building a foam support for underneath the lens because the lens mount on smaller cameras is slightly too weak for a hard opening

here is a shot at 11mm and f/2.8

Thanks to all for the answers. After lots and lots of reading (reviews, forums...) I've decided to go with the Canon 10-22mm.

The extra range on the canon will definitely come in handy for landscapes and won't leave a gap with the Tamron 28-70 2.8 i'm planning on getting.

I'll probably get the "strobe mania" in a couple months time and start buying flash and accessories like candy so the extra stop on the tokina won't really be so useful.

Does anyone have a picture of a helmet setup with a 10-22. Do you use a support for the lens since it sticks far out?

...and won't leave a gap with the Tamron 28-70 2.8 i'm planning on getting.

If you haven't already gotten the Tamron, you should look into the Sigma 24-70 2.8. I sold mine a while ago, but I loved it and kinda wish I still had it. It was my walking around lens for several years (as well as a great under the net lens for basketball). The extra range at the wide end was great, and it would leave less of a gap between it and the 10-22.

There are a few shots of my setup in the post your camera helmet thread.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3516110;#3516110

I don't use a support for the lens (not that this is right or wrong)... and I think the Canon 10-22 is lighter then my Tokina 17 (which I don't use anymore.)

Oops slight mistake, it's Tamron 28-75 2.8 .

Apparently this lens is magic for its price. It almost compares to an L lens on some aspects and apparently blows any other competition lens in the same range. Lots of reviews out there praising it.

I will probably have more use of the extra far-end range of the tamron anyways.

Since the ultrawide lens will also serve as a landscape lens, i'd prefer not having to post process the fish-eye effect on every single pic...

Thanks for all the help peeps. Now if anyone is selling (or giving :$ ) their 10-22, i'd be glad to help !

....the 10-22 is too long and too heavy

Actually, the 10-22 is fairly light, and only 2 oz. heavier than the Canon 15mm (and yes, it is lighter than the Tokina 17mm). It is an inch longer than the Canon 15mm, but if the camera is top-mounted, that often isn't an issue.

I have the Canon 15 and I like it, but I used the 10-22 on the ground and can definitely see the value in it for skydiving.

go with the canon 15mm....the 10-22 is too long and too heavy ;)

Good example of a subjective statement couched as fact.

Many will disagree with your opinion, including myself. I jump a 10-22, and it is not too long, nor too heavy.

Not really!!!!.... it is a FACT the 15mm is lighter and shorter than the 10-22. And for some of us thats important!
I also recommend a 15mm but there is also a 10mm or 8mm??? depending on your flying skills.
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

Not really!!!!.... it is a FACT the 15mm is lighter and shorter than the 10-22. And for some of us thats important!
I also recommend a 15mm but there is also a 10mm or 8mm??? depending on your flying skills.

Come on man. Re-read the posts. He didn't say the 15mm is lighter. He said the 10-22 is TOO LONG and TOO HEAVY.

>it is a FACT the 15mm is lighter and shorter than the 10-22.

Yep. But it's far from too heavy. I use an HC1 with the XSi plus the Canon 10-22 all the time, and it works just fine.

Now, the 16mm cameras we were jumping for the Honda commercial - they were definitely too heavy (20 pounds.)