DSE

Off-topic, but very sexy

I had a philips tv with the ambilight... 15 months after buying it stopped turning on consistently. A little research on the web showed a ton of people with the exact same problem. Not covered under warranty, parts backordered.

While the concept of the above linked tv is cool, I'll never buy Philips again. :-\

I was totally digging it until I noticed that there were shell casings popping out of a weapon where there was no ejection port, completely ruined it for me.:P

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

can anyone explain why they are making a 21:9 TVs now?
the 16:9 is not even working yet.
as i remember the reason why we should move to 16:9 was to get ridd of the black edges up and down on the movies.
today, ~10 years later (or more?) we still have those black edges!>:(

why do everyone have to do it the "Microsoft-way"?
ship it before it works, make some minor adjustments, then scrap it and release something else that is "supposed to work so much better"
pff... im old enough now...

I'm clueless as to what you're referring to.
Microsoft has nothing to do with widescreen formats whether they be 1.1:85, 1.212, 2:39 or any other wide format.
21:9 is old school, going back to the 50's before Bill Gates was out of diapers.... Variants of 21:9 date back to 1890 (yes, that's right, late 1800's).

Panoramico dates to the very early 1900's if memory serves...Widevision was around 1930.

16:9 works fine in most circumstances.
Not everything broadcast or on Blu-ray will fill a screen. Windowboxing, letterboxing, pillarboxing are going to be around for quite a while, if everything is to be seen at it's native aspect without cropping, panning, or stretching. There are simply too many formats.

16:9 works fine in most circumstances.
Not everything broadcast or on Blu-ray will fill a screen.

One of the things I thought was really neat on the recent Blu-ray release of The Dark Night was the use of the different aspect ratios throughout the movie.

I guess some of the scenes were shot in IMAX and they were displayed in 16:9 where as much of the rest of the movie was shown in 21:9. The transitions between the two seemed quite seamless and I only noticed because I read about it before watching the movie...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Philips is about to begin shipping their newest 21:9 displays. This is one of the most impressive pieces of work I've ever seen for home television marketing.
http://www.cinema.philips.com/?ls=gb_en
For those who haven't seen his work, this is similar to some of what Jarno does.

Dammit, DSE - I'm trying to get OUT of debt!!

I was totally digging it until I noticed that there were shell casings popping out of a weapon where there was no ejection port, completely ruined it for me.:P

Do army desk jockeys like you still remember holding guns then:P;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Do army desk jockeys like you still remember holding guns then:P;)

oh come on, give the old man a break, once you get as high ranking as him, you have to work at a desk... the army can't afford to lose him. :P

edit to add: awaiting the desk jockey jokes towards me...;)
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...