marcantonio152

My first video...

Good evening dz.com,

I took a friend skydiving yesterday, and I compiled some pictures and video clips into this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Marcantonio152/SkydivingAndSubBall/
The video is the last item in the load.

I'm asking for some possible constructive criticism on it?

Obviously, I'm not a freefall photographer, and I didn't even come close to using a camera helmet for this jump.

Just let me know what you think!
I'm now required to quit skydiving by the US Navy

Well, Buddy Blue certainly has some equipment from way "back in the day."

Also, I really regret not grabbing the camera on the ground and snapping a few pictures after the skydive. Her face was amazing after she landed, and I totally screwed it up by not taking pictures.

Good thing I wasn't getting paid for this!

Good for you for documenting the first jump. Like somebody else said, don't discount ground (background) footage. But just 'cause you asked,...

A couple things. I nodded off about 3 to 3-1/2 minutes when there was a very long sequence of the instructor on the deck. I would personally go for short bursts of the ground training and keep the video moving forward.

If it is not a moving shot, the camera shouldn't be moving. Buy, practice with, and use a tripod. If you use one often, you will find you can set it up and get good shots quickly that won't get in the way of the shot, and won't get the viewers dizzy.

Cut out the cutesy transitions (peels, wipes, etc.). It is very rare that you should use anything other than a simple cut, or a simple cross-fade. Just 'cause your editing program has every transition ever used in the original batman series, doesn't mean you have to use them. Look at the transitions used in mainstream TV broadcasts and use them as your cue. The major networks have every "cool" trick you have and more. But there is a reasons they don't use them.

At the end, there were a good two minutes of video after she landed with nothing but title. Any reason other than that the song was still playing?

These are just my quick thoughts without analyzing it too much. Again, I'm only offering my opinion because you asked. You're free to disagree.....

The fun does happen on the ground as much as in the air, like it's been said. And i think she is stunning ! :) Lucky guy....

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Thanks for the advice!

I just didn't cut the song off at the end of the movie, which is why the last slide is so long.

I appreciate the ideas on the transitions. I'll check out some professional videos and make the editing better.
JP can make you yawn a bit with his stories, but I understand the bit about the 3.5 minutes of boredom.
I own a tripod but I didn't have it with me and I definitely didn't have room for it while using it in the classroom, and since I was just doing this for the fun of it I didn't even think about it. However, I'll keep it in mind for the next time I give this a try.

I feel pretty bummed that I didn't get anything of her after the jump, but we really didn't have much time. I'll take some pictures of her on her next jump, though!

Also, she is VERY stunning, but I'm not the lucky guy.