velocityphoto

prescription sunglasses?

Anyone know of a good place to pickup prescription sunglasses that will work for skydiving? Starting to have a bit of trouble inside the plane seeing my screens.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I have a pair of Oakley Minutes. The manufacturer made the prescription lenses for me. Comes with a one year warranty.

Gatorz also sells to alot of skydivers and they can recommend a place to have the lenses made, but don't make them themselves. Warranty is void if you do this, though.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Any optometrist can fix you up. I have a pair of bifocal prescription sunglasses...I'm old I know...but I couldn't do anything in the plane without them as seeing stuff closeup just doesn't work anymore.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Anyone know of a good place to pickup prescription sunglasses that will work for skydiving? Starting to have a bit of trouble inside the plane seeing my screens.

Give Liquid Eyewear a call. They make RX sunglasses and it shouldn't be long before you see them being offered in the optometry section at all Sam's clubs, so you can use your insurance to pick them up (if your insurance covers that). They also do bifocal progressive and Light to dark transition lenses as well as polarized lenses. Their glasses also have an ANSI rating so they can be used for activities where you need/want a safety rated pair of glasses. Most importantly, they look good.B|
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I bought prescription goggles from sportRx.com. They were only $20 for the goggles but Bifocal prescription lenses were about $150(sucks to get old). you fax them your script and they send them out for the lenses and then ship them to you.

I ordered prescription sunglasses from sportrx.com. The prescription was not quite right so I had my eye doctor order new lenses through my health insurance. Sportrx.com worked with me throughout the problem. They had me send their lenses back and gave me a refund. They only charged me for the frames. The company was a pleasure to work with. I recommend the company.

From a guy thats anal about glasses i had a pair of Wiley-x's....compared to the Oakley Minute 2.0 i just got completely for skydiving, the wileys are garbage,

The Oakleys blow anything else out of the water, the waranty, the lenses, the quality, is amazing by far!

I will never get anything but another pair of oakleys!!!

Hate to say it guys... but my videos and skydiving got a ton better once I went and got Lasik. I never knew how much that slight flutter with contacts and the lack of peripheral vision effected my abilities. I know there is a bunch of reasons not got get it, but the more and more you get to specialized glasses the closer you get to recuperating the costs of lasik. Lets just say I'm a huge fan.... ok end of my thread hijacking and my 2 cents... Goodnight :)
-Trunk

HYPOXIC

I got a set of Prescription sunglasses at MetalSunglasses.com. You can choose from Gatorz or OutLaw Eyewear there. They have custom lens colors too that you can pick from when you talk to them. I have a pair of Gatorz Radiators and OutLaw Eyewear Fugitives. Both are great for jumping. The Fugitive is a little less money, so keep that in mind if you are on a budget. It takes around 2-3 weeks to get the prescription made. It took a little over 3 weeks, but that's ok. The glasses are great and it makes a big difference. I did not realize how much my eyes changed once I turned 40.

From a guy thats anal about glasses i had a pair of Wiley-x's....compared to the Oakley Minute 2.0 i just got completely for skydiving, the wileys are garbage,

The Oakleys blow anything else out of the water, the waranty, the lenses, the quality, is amazing by far!

I will never get anything but another pair of oakleys!!![/reply

I dunno ..I tried oakleys, cracked the frame so I sent it in.not only did they deny the claim but kept trying to bill me for $20 to look at the frames. My last pair of oakleys

I bought the outlaws and they are pretty much worthless . Can't use them for skydiving at all and the lenses keep falling out of them. Like looking thru the bottom of a coke bottle, and reflections from and thing all over the back side of the lenses. I can see my eyes looking back at me. Wasted $640.00 on those!

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

$640? Wow. I paid $300 for my prescription OutLaw Fugitive. I don't see a reflection in the lenses and my lenses are very secure. I think they are a very good value and they block the wind out for me very well. If your glasses have reflections on the backs of the lenses, then you are a person that needs the Anti Reflection coating on the back. Most companies have that option when they make Prescription lenses for you. You just have to ask for it. Don't blame the glasses. It has something to do with the shape of your face and how the glasses are adjusted. I think a lab can put that coating on at any time. You might want to get it. That is what my local optical shop told me when I had a problem with my Gatorz that I used to use. I They offered to put the coating on, but I ended up not needing it as I more carefully adjusted the shape of the sunglass. When the frame is perfectly tight to my face on the sides, I get no reflections in the lenses. When the frame is a little wiggly, I get reflections under certain circumstances. So, just adjust it right or get that simple coating.

I payed all the money for anti reflective coating , all bells and whisles. Still garbage glasses though, frames are flemsy so the lenes pop out of them real easy and the nose piece is soft and bends to easy. Adjusting the frame to fit tighter isnt going to work either, been done already by the optition here! They just wont work for skydiving. They are noline bifocals lenses but its like looking thru a coke bottle!

Humm. Strange. I have the no-line Bifocals as well. The lenses are thin and not at all like coke bottles. I don't see a reflection and the frame is not flimsy. Maybe you just are unlucky as I know 3 other people that also love their OutLaw Fugitives with Prescription lenses. One has no-line Bi Focals/progressives, and the other 2 have regular single prescription lenses that are mirrored and are Transition. The price was good and we are having no problems. Perhaps it is a matter of those glasses not being good for you, but they are good for other people. That can be true with any personal item, like googles and shoes.
I had Wiley-X glasses a few years ago, and I thought they were terrible. I had reflections and I got a lot of air.
I then had Gatorz, and they were good. To me, the OutLaw glasses are the same as the Gatorz glasses.
You only have the anti reflective coating if you specify it and if it gets that treatment. I think the lab I checked with said they charge $75 extra for it, or something like that. It is not necessary for me as I get no reflections now that I have the frame adjusted accurately.

Everyone is different. That is the beauty of man.

Aluminum sunglasses are great in that they can be adjusted for everyones' individual face shape and size.