Rover7

Focus

I added a Century .55x to the CX100 and when I manually focus to infinity, it is out of focus. I have to focus back in until things come back into focus, which is hard to see on the small lcd screen. Is there any scientific way or tricks for manually focusing with the wide angle lens on the CX100?

I don't know if there's a reason it can't be done with the CX100, but can you just use autofocus and then switch to manual focus to lock it? You can get technical and find the optimal focus distance to maximize depth of field, but it works fine to just focus on something about the distance you're going to be and lock it there.

Dave

This is exactly how I recommend you use manual focus with the CX100.
Point the camera at a highly contrasted image (somewhere here I posted a focus chart you can print) and press the Spot Focus button while holding the camera still, at a distance of approx 8'. that's all you need to do. It locks in and will work fine through the skydive, assuming you're not using the zoom. The Century is a single element/non-zoom through lens.

I don't have a cx100 but i think my cx12 is about the same here.On your screen you should have a meter that says metric distance from your subject Looks like a little hour glass side ways when you have it set to infinity. It should be right around there most of the time. You may have issues with your wide angle lens too. I'm not sure about yours but some lenses won't let you use auto focus with them in the different modes too such as beach and ski or sports mode. Hope this helps.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Side subject,

Adding to one of the 20 or so existing CX100/CX105 threads also would have been nice:P
Also makes it easier for people using the search function in the future...one thread with all info/questions on this camera..

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Side subject,

Adding to one of the 20 or so existing CX100/CX105 threads also would have been nice:P
Also makes it easier for people using the search function in the future...one thread with all info/questions on this camera..

Maybe...but i figured this was probably not camera specific and possibly had to do more with adding the wide angle.

Anywho, thanks for the other responses. I'll give those a try.

Maybe...but i figured this was probably not camera specific and possibly had to do more with adding the wide angle.

I think you're right here. If it's a two element lens (like Raynox 5050) you usually want to focus to infinity... if it's single element like Century .55x, or a Royal Lens, you want to autofocus on something 15 feet away, and then lock it at manual. This has been my experience at least.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com