pilotdave

New Digital Rebel... this one's gonna be a hit

News !!!!!!

New TonFly HDR CX100-105 camera box on sale.
Left side and Top Mounc connection available.
Space room for the FH70 Sony large battery, good power and not too much weight.
Fully compatible with HypEye D pro connection.
Available in all colours. Price 65 Euro
Order Now.....
http://www.tonfly.com/Photo-Accessories_500967.html

Thats all I needed to hear. Plus you helped remind me that I should get some video jumps in before jumping on the photo bandwagon. Plus I think initially my neck will appreciate a CX-100 on the top of my head and not a D-SLR. Probably won't even notice there is a camera up there.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

Great 5d thread

I don't know the success people might have had in using the 5d for both video and photo. Seems like there wasn't a resounding chorus of those who thought it could replace the video camera.

Like Bill mentioned above, the CX100 could be used for video and passable stills - if your looking to really lighten your load...

I would buy the cx100 without hesitation. I'd get at least a 100 jumps with the video then worry about buying the still camera later when the price of it will come down then anyways.

The only thing a camera which does bothe video and stills is good for is an unusual situation where you had to take the stills from the video or something of that effect.

Still camera's are for taking photography. Video is for shooting video's . Don't try to do both with them. You won't do a professional job like that , IMO.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

HD film capacity:

1080p @ 20fps

720p @ 30fps

could be something... but I realize that I'm old fashion and like video AND stills, not stills out of a video ;)

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

If you are looking to reduce to a single camera and still get stills level quality out of the images then you are currently looking at something like RED as the only option. The issue that everyone seems to overlook is you have to look at is the level of glass that goes into the camera's and the sensor size. The small sensor size on camcorders means the glass needs to be extremely well built glass to get full images to the sensor, most consumer cameras are not using that level of glass.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The basic idea is this, if you want something that shoots good video, get a video camera. If you want to shoot good stills, get a still camera.

It will be a long, long time before one camera for video and stills becomes the standard in skydiving. Even if the technology gets close, close isn't good enough for skydivers.

Let's think about it, how many guys out there are jumping $600 or $700 glass on their still cameras? The answer is 'lots'. Even though there are lens options for FAR less money that produce pics that are 95% the quality of the expensive glass, skydivers always want the best.

What about flashes? Let's face it, most of the jumping we do is in bright sunshine. There's plenty of light for just about every shot, but the extra 'pop' you get out of a fill flash is enough to get guys to drop $100's on flashes and battery packs, and even worse, haul that extra shit around on their melon.

What makes it even worse is that all the cash we drop goes into gear that we take into rough conditions, with the vey real possibility that it will all be dropped from 1/2 mile up in the air. Despite this, the money gets spent, and quality is strived for.

The single camera option would have to come a LONG way to become a viable option. The camera would have to be workable on a helmet, have a remote shutter release, and produce video and stills 90% as good as the best individual cameras could provide.

Do you not think that with the CX100, we are getting closer to video and stills in one shot? Combining that with the Hypeye D Pro makes the CX100 (and probably others) a real viable alternative.

Now I'm in total agreement with you about striving for quality, and in my opinion, the stills on the CX100 are still not up to snuff, but I think it's getting closer and that is the only real 'missing link' in having a single device for both photo and video...

No, you're missing the point. The CX100 may do a fine job of taking video and stills at the same time, but a Digital Rebel, even with the kit lens, will do a better job.

As long as there is a way to get better quality, skydivers won't go for it. They'll go for the better way. You would need a device that can produce the best available video and the best available stills at the same time. It's not a commentary on the device itself, it's a commentary on the users.

why are you choosing the cx100 as getting closer to the goal? what about the T1i? isn't it getting closer? there is progress towards the goal of one box capturing both video and stills at a quality level that will be accepted by most people for most uses. traditional video cameras and still cameras are both traveling down two separate paths towards that goal. It is still a few years away from reality. I think the still camera incorporating video is the path more likely to deliver the results we desire. It would be great if we had a box the size and weight of the cx100 (minus its glass) with the glass available for the T1i that could capture both stills and video, when that box is released at a price point below $2k, I will be standing in line to buy it.
A few people may be willing to accept one of the solutions available today, but I doubt that you could convince a majority of the cameramen out there that the cx100 or T1i was the only box they needed to carry to get the video and stills expected by their customers.