JohnnyZ

Memory Sticks for Sony Camcorders

I picked up a CX100 and I was wondering what kind of memory sticks are best. There's a couple different options I've been looking at. Sony offers their Memory Stick Pro Duo Mark II and Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo. Sandisk has the Memory Stick Pro Duo which appears to have the same specs as Sony's.
Is there anything to be gained with the HG version over the regular Pro Duo Mark II in this application (video) or is the lower priced Mark II ample as far as speed and everything else goes?

I put in a 16GB Mark II card in a CX100 and the camcorder said that "this memory card may not record or play back properly" When i put it on FH and record, it shuts off after about five seconds.

You bought that 16GB card off of E-Bay for a really good deal, didn't you? I bought two "Sony" ones from a U.S. seller that said they weren't fakes and I got the same error code. If you paid less than $70 (and that's a steal) for them, they're probably fake. I was able to return them and get a full refund with no hassle.
Radio Shack has 8GB Sandisk Pro Duo Memory Sticks on sale for $35.00 right now. I just went and picked up two of them today.

I picked up a CX100 and I was wondering what kind of memory sticks are best. There's a couple different options I've been looking at. Sony offers their Memory Stick Pro Duo Mark II and Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo. Sandisk has the Memory Stick Pro Duo which appears to have the same specs as Sony's.
Is there anything to be gained with the HG version over the regular Pro Duo Mark II in this application (video) or is the lower priced Mark II ample as far as speed and everything else goes?

I think the manual says that it's only "certified" to work with 8GB or smaller sticks.

I think the manual says that it's only "certified" to work with 8GB or smaller sticks.

Someone actually RTFM????:D

This is true. However, the same holds for the CX7/12, and they both manage the Sandisk 16's just fine. But it is caveat emptor....
And even the cheapie 4/8GB cards from noname on eBay don't work. We got zapped that way on some old 1GB cards a couple years back.