Blink

Custom Cage Design Help!

But then you’ve taken of all the pleasure of doing it yourself. Not to mention that you end up with a unique design, nothing beats this feeling.:)

Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

I would suggest a front face plate for you to mount the lens through. Take a look at schumacher's (DSE's mount). It allows your to screw in a lens hood that makes your wide angle lens act as part of the cage. In DSE's case he used a bathtub o'ring but you can actually machine something that goes around the lens to make it secure.

Last time I talked to Terry he said he gave up on building cages since they take forever to design and he constantly needs to redesign them for each camera. DSE's using the CX7 cage that it looks like he moved the mount for the CX100. The nice thing about this cage was you can remove the lens and then slide out the camera via pulling a spring loaded pin from the back. Part of the base of the cage is a gold member style camera mount for sliding the camera in and out.

Oh and for all you nay sayers, I say hell yeah make your own cage, it looks sweet. Perhaps we are welcoming the next Terry Schumacher :-P

-Trunk
HYPOXIC

Well, I just don't feel like handing over $200 for some CF and hinges, or plastic and bungee cords. Don't get me wrong, I think the manufactured boxes look great, and probably work just as good, but I just can't justify the cash.

Two posts up...

Plus, where's the fun in that? I enjoy designing and building my own stuff, rather than buying it off the shelf. Although it's not always as fast/easy, you get exactly what you want.

UPDATE

Well after a few months, many set backs, and lots of time re-designing, I have my first cage 99% complete.

You can see the design below.

Specs:
Machined from 6061 aluminum, with 0.15" wall thickness, very strong.
Cutouts to lighten and allow access to necessary functions including zoom, a/v, screen.Covers camera perfectly when using the FH50 battery, oviously the FH70 will stick out about 1/4"
Holes and fasters machined to line up with Liquid Flatlock. I love this mount, very rigid, very solid, little to no play.

Left to do:
Drill mounting and alignment holes for camera. I didn't have the location dimensions for the holes on the bottom of the camera, so I need to measure those.
Hole in flatlock to allow battery removal.

Please comment, let me know what you think, good or bad, constructive criticism always helps.

Hopefully there's enough pictures to give you every angle and show you what you need to see.

Thanks!

Thank you Will!! I've got my very own "Blink Box" for my CX-100 and it's exactly what I was looking for. Mounted on my Vapour WP, It's simple design gives me access to the LCD without having to open up a box, all the while giving that camera protection I was looking for. The camera is held in by a screw, with the additional locking pin for anti-twist to boot!

Here's a few photos...