davidfreefly

sony cx100 (105 europe) settings

I have a new cx100, what settings work best??

Another question, i used to do online edition of tandem videos, but i have benn looking for the slow motion on the cam.. and i didnt find anything... any idea??

there isn't a way of triggering smooth slow motion on this camera ie; online editing... another argument for 'puters.

My preferences are:
VX Color ON
Wide Adapter ON
IS ON
Manual Focus
Auto Expose/Scene Selection AUTO
Expose set to -1
White Balance AUTO
Fader OFF
External card (I prefer saving Internal for emergencies)
Auto Slow Shutter OFF
Face Function OFF
Smile Function OFF
Digital Zoom OFF
Zoom mic Off
MicRef LOW
Power On by LCD OFF

I can't recall which (if any) other settings I've selected. Sitting in an airport and don't have the camera available to me right now.

Thanks for that useful info.

When yu say IS you mean Image stabilizator??? Steady shot

Another questio is.. how do you edit a HD video?? I have imported the videos from handycam to computer, i used to edit on sony vegas, but this software does not recognize the HDV format. What steps to follow?? Software??

External card (I prefer saving Internal for emergencies)

This a great recommendation for anyone purchasing a solid state camera with both internal and external memory. Use the external memory as your primary media, because it can be replaced when it 'wears out'.

The sad fact, regardless of the claims of 'lifetime warranty' by some manufacturers, is that all flash based media has a limited number of re-write cycles before it will fail. And since your camera will be writing to the media constantly when recording, it only makes sense to use the replaceable stuff as primary.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

another question, any way to adjust the obturation speed? to get that nice effect of the propellers frozen

short answer; no.
IIRC, shutter speed varies from 1/15 to 1/1000; it's not user-selectable.

did someone noticed shaking problems with that camera?

I have jumped the past weekend and now i am noticing shaking problems on my videos. Two jumps were filmed one sit flying, and the other one belly. Both has little shaking, that i didnt notice on my old camerea a sony trv 33.

Any idea??

I have jumped the past weekend and now i am noticing shaking problems on my videos. Two jumps were filmed one sit flying, and the other one belly. Both has little shaking, that i didnt notice on my old camerea a sony trv 33.

Any idea??

Well, I have found that kind of stuff stands out a bit more in HD video. I can't imagine you were seeing the type of jitter (constant fluttering of the image) that we have seen with the CX7 and other optical stabilized cameras.

All the freefly footage I have seen so far from the cx100 has been pretty decent.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Any idea??

I'm getting that shaking issue, but I'm really hoping that I just need to secure the camera a bit more. Only using a quick release mount with the one screw going into the bottom of camera. Going to try and stap the cam down next. There's only slight movement if I put side to side pressure on the cam, but this might be causing the shake.

I jumped the camera on a top mount without any case or condom. Maybe this the cause for shaking?

Seems like we both have similar setup and similar shake issues. Hopefully it's just a matter of securing the cam a little better. Did you have a filter lens on the front or just the open camera lens? I have no filter. Not sure if wind on the open camera lens would cause shaking?

Yes i have a wide angle lens 0.3. Now i have made a camera condom that fits perfect, and i have glued neoprene on the helmet top, so no sliding is possible on the helmet.... lets see if it works :|

Well that rules out the open lens thought. Let me know how it goes. Would love to see the condom. Did you make it yourself?

HD and widescreen will make the shake more apparent. It may be that your camera isn't as tight in the box as it should be, could be the front of the camera is floating up/down. I've got one sit jump and 6 tandems with the CX, no problems at all, but...HD and widescreen will make any apparent problems much more apparent.

any one know how to use this camera and transfer to real xstream. we use real xstream at our DZ and transfer to it with firewire. i know this camera uses usb only. so im trying to figure out how i can use this camera and still transfer to real xstream. dont know if there is a way to use USB with real xstream

I jumped the camera on a top mount without any case or condom. Maybe this the cause for shaking?

I did 6 tandems with this camera this weekend.
The first 4 were perfect.The other two have a little shake problem but only when I was on the door and waiting for the tandem to get ready..
The reason IMO was:

1:The plane was at full speed....
2:The liquid flatlock has a very small loose?
I can't explain it because My english aren't very good.You know the two pieces are not very tight enough..
I can't imagine something else..
Also I have the camera on a cookie mxv top mount without any case.
Just a rubber to keep the screen close.
I will post a photo as soon as I come home..

About the settings with a Raynox 5050 I used:
XV COLOR ON
WIDE LENS ON CAMERA ON
BEACH SCENE
AUTO FOCUS
And everything else auto.
Also disable all the "photo" functions
No problem so far with these....

Congrats, glad to hear it went well.
Auto focus; I'd expect you to see some shake problems with that, especially on the CX100. It's a slow auto focus.

I have disable all the "photo" settings ,because the auto focus is very slow.YOU tell "us" disable the "photo" settings (smile sensitivity etc) to make the focus faster..and it works.Really no problem at all.
Even during the opening when the camera "turns" from the horizon to film the opening...Everything was perfect.
I am very happy with this camera.
Now I am waiting a cookie box and a hyped pro and I am ok...
Now I have to wait to open the door for the spoting,to push the rec bottom, secure the screen (I have to check is the rec is on) and put the helmet on for the jump..uuhh...:-))

I have disable all the "photo" settings ,because the auto focus is very slow.YOU tell "us" disable the "photo" settings (smile sensitivity etc) to make the focus faster..and it works.Really no problem at all.

Hey, if it works for you, that's terrific! Even with the photo settings disabled, I find it's still a bit slow for me, but if it's working for you...nice!
You'll love the hypeye when it comes, no more checking for "record."